Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

H-REAP for remote braches

hello friends,

i have 2 remote braches connected to HQ via L3 IP/VPN connections. i have wlc5500 presented in HQ now i want to use the same controller to add more access points in remote braches.

here i am confused the our wan link having 1MB bandwidth so what about if the wireless users come through wan link and go through controller to the lan and than internet as well.what you say about load on wan link will be increased??

what is the best sulotion for this task?

1 to use central authentication with central switching ?

2 to use central authentication with local switching ?

and please tell me about the effects on wan link either i use 1 type or 2 type?

many thanks

Everyone's tags (2)
6 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: H-REAP for remote braches

Well with #1, all you traffic will be tunneled back. With #2, just authentication will tunnel back (802.1x) and you drop the traffic locally at that site. So with what you have, I would go with #2, just because your traffic will only come back to the HQ if it needs resources there. I a user prints, why would you want to tunnel that back to HQ and them back to the remote site. With #2, you will save some bandwidth unless all traffics resources have to come back to HQ. I don't know what your utilization is on the wan links nor what it will be increased by with the addition of wireless. That is something you will need to monitor.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

thanks fella for reply

so what i am going to setup is this

i will do priming first for all remote site aps

let them join contrl in HQ than configure contrl mgmt ip in highavailbility

configure H-reap on them restart them

than also use central authentication with local switching

in remote site i will configure 3 SVIs one for ap mgmt and 2 for ssids

connect the ap in any poe switch and configure switch port as trunk and allow all these vlans on that

ap will get ip from remote site but join the controller in HQ cause it has already configured contrl ip on it and previously joined there.

what about if wan link or controller ge down the users will lost the connectivity to HQ right?

but they can communicate only with remote brach's lan only right?

also in this way traffic load on wan will be  less right?

please seggest if i need to do any other step too?

many thanks

That is how I would do it. I always like to prime the APs first just to make sure no DOA. If the HQ wlc goes down, then all the central switching SSID goes down. For example, guest. If Internet for guest comes out of the HQ, then that SSID should be centralized so that it's tunneled back to HQ. Traffic load will be less of course since not all the traffic has to transverse the wan.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

hello fella

one more thing i need to ask you

Change the  AP mode to HREAP from LOCAL . after the AP rebooting and after re  joining back, u see the extra TAB called HREAP in the AP edit page, here  do the VLAN mapping to the WLANs*** here which vlans i will map to the WLANs? are these from remote site vlans?

many thanks

That is correct. If you have the WLAN configured for FlexConnect local

Switching, you will get an option in that tab to set the local vlan tag for that SSID.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

hello fella

i hope you r fine

i need to ask you some thing about H-Reap

if i have only one ssid let's say TEST , configured in controller for head office (where controller is installed) and i use the same ssid for remote branch, and configur it as a H-reap local switching, than may it will effect on the users in HO???

what about the vlan mapping? let say i have only one vlan on remote site vlan10.

shall i tag that vlan as a native vlan in access point in h-reap mode??

what about access switch port onfiguration? this will be configured as access port OR trunk port???

thanks

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content