Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

HA SKU N+1 Configuration

I have a 5508 configured as HA SKU to support a failover up to 500AP's.  My question is around configuring the primary controllers to failover to the HA controller as a backup.  I had planned on configuring this under the AP configuration pointing to the HA controller as the secondary controller for each AP.

I also see the command that you can issue the following command from the primary controller- config advanced backup-controller primary backup_controller_name backup_controller_IP_address

How is this different than specifying the HA controller as the secondary controller under the AP configuration?

6 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

If your "fail over" is AP SSO

If your "fail over" is AP SSO, then configuring primary/secondary controller on the AP is useless. 

With AP SSO, fail over to the 2nd WLC is "sub-second" while primary/secondary controller is about 6 seconds.

This is not AP SSO.  It's N+1

This is not AP SSO.  It's N+1.  I just wanted to know if there was a difference between configuring the HA backup controller as secondary under the AP config versus configuring the global backup controller command  

Hall of Fame Super Silver

N+1 is the same setup as if

N+1 is the same setup as if you have two licensed WLC.  The High Availability on the AP overrides the global setting.

Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks.  

Thanks.  

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Basically if you don't define

Basically if you don't define the high availability on the AP, then it's best practice to define it globally on the WLC. It's best practice to define it in the AP especially if you have more than one WLC. 

Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Agree with Scott.  AP

Agree with Scott. 

AP-specific configuration will over-ride any global configuration.  

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content