Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Help: AIR-CAP3502I-E-K9 mesh deployment

Hi All

I have been mandated to "make this solution work", so I am asking for some advice from people who have done this before, or maybe just have a different solution or perspective to this.

Here goes: We have a complex consisting of 29 4 bedroom houses. We have a total of 112 users in this complex. We have to use 7 Cisco AIR-CAP3502I-E-K9, and we have to deploy these as a mesh. No pressure...

This is what the site looks like:

Annies Site Survey.png

All the APs are controlled by a Cisco 5508 controller.

The small building to the right of the pool is the pool house. This is where the link back to our primary site terminates, and this is where we've installed the root access point (red dot). Then we worked on a radius of 30m (the yellow line on the right hand side of the image is 30m) around each AP for connectivity.

We have tested this scenario in our lab prior to deployment, and everything worked 100%. Granted, the distances between the mesh APs (MAPs) and the root AP (RAP) was about 15m, so we had significantly more signal overlap than in the actual deployment. Initially in the lab setup we could not get the MAPs to connect to the RAP using the Cisco power injectors (bricks), so we used dedicated DC power supplies for each AP, which worked 100%. The mesh came up, and we could connect clients to the network. No sweat.

Then we focused on the power injector issue, and eventually all the APs just came up using the injectors. Nothing changed, but they decided to work. We switched all of them off and on a couple of times to see if it wasn't perhaps just luck, but they all kept on coming up, and the mesh kept on working. This was promising...

We then went to the site to deploy the APs are per the above image, and the mesh just refused to come up. We were using the power injectors in this deployment. We got the root up, and we tried installing the first MAP in unit 6. No luck. So we moved the MAP down one house to unit 10, and it still didn't come up. Then we installed another MAP in unit 22, and it too did not come up.

It should be noted that when I walk around on the site, I pick the RAP's signal up in most of the units around the pool house - up to units 6, 11 - 16, and 19! Units 7 and 10 also get signal, as does unit 22. It's not very strong in the outlying units mentioned above, but it is there...

So I am slightly lost now. The next step would be to install the DC power supplies again to see if those make a difference. Other than that, I see no other option but to install a 2-core fibre to each house that has an AP, and linking these back to the pool house, to get them connected back to our main site.

Any assistance/advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Connie

Everyone's tags (4)
2 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Help: AIR-CAP3502I-E-K9 mesh deployment

Can you post the output from the console of one of the AP's. Also, did the RAP come up fine? Is this the same wlc you used in the lab?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Help: AIR-CAP3502I-E-K9 mesh deployment

Hi Scott

I will only be able to get the console output next week, as we've got a long weekend coming up (today is "Friday" - YAY!) and I won't be able to make it to the site today.

The RAP came up 100%. We kept the WLC the same as used in the lab to try and bring in as few variables as possible. We will configure a secondary WLC later and test that. I will also, for interest sake, bring up a MAP in the same building as the RAP using the power injector to see if that makes a difference.

Cheers

Connie

Views
Helpful
Replies