Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Help: lost connectivity to both WLC when enabling AP SSO

We have two pairs of WLC 5508 7.4.100.0, one at each remote site.

The pair at remote site A, we enabled AP SSO on primary, then AP SSO on secondary.  The units reloaded, everything is fine.  We can ping to the management IP and both redundancy-management ip.

The pair at remote site B, we went throught the same process.  The units reloaded, we lost connectivity to both. 

We have attempted to power-cycle both units: powered off both, then apply power to primary first, followed by the secondary unit.  what is interesting is that, during the reboot cycle of the failed pair, the redundancy-management IP of the primary unit was up and pingable for a while and then gone away, followed by the redundancy-management IP of the secondary unit, up then gone away.  The management IP was never pingable after AP SSO was enabled.

We are not using the service port and could connect console port with help from local resources as last resort.

Questions are: 

first, can anyone suggest a way to regain access to these units remotely without using the service port or the console port?  such as powering the units in a particular sequence or manner?

second, knowing another pair at remote site A with same code and configuration is running AP SSO successfully, any suggestions as why the pair at remote site B would fail when AP SSO is enabled?

• Getting Started with Wireless
Everyone's tags (5)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Unfortunately, you need console connectivity to see what is going on, and to be able to issue commands.

I would get a console connection and then power cycle the pair.  watch what the logs say when they are booting.

Make sure the configuration is correct.  If it is, and you still can't get to it, disable SSO and reboot.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered
3 REPLIES

Unfortunately, you need console connectivity to see what is going on, and to be able to issue commands.

I would get a console connection and then power cycle the pair.  watch what the logs say when they are booting.

Make sure the configuration is correct.  If it is, and you still can't get to it, disable SSO and reboot.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Hi Steve,

one thing I suspect for the pair not to join up is the back-to-back connection of the RP port.  In this particular instance, we have a visual of green light on RP port on both.  But is there a way to check it's status from CLI before enabling AP SSO?

the show interface summary doesn't tell me the port status other than an IP is applied.  I know once they paired up, I can ping each other's 169.254.x.x.  But the ping times out before SSO is enabled so it is no good for troubleshooting.

Thanks

Update to the case:

the failed pair didn't come up because we incorrectly set the Primary role on the WLC with HA SKU.  Once we reversed the roles, the pair came up just fine.

Cheers.

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.