Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Help please

Our home is large with 5 bedroom and has exposed interlocking timber ceilings and walls.  I am told that all the timber and the two storey layout will make it difficult for establishing a robust wifi system.

We would be using the wifi for multiple smartphone users, wifi laptops and tablets, HD video streaming (via set top box) for TV and laptops/tablets/smartphones.

Currently the broadband connection to our home is ADSL. (copper telephone line)    So any suggestions on suitable Cisco modem router and extender products would be appreciated.        

Craig

13 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Re: Help please

Hi Craig,

Can you specify what your budget is?

I mean your solution can either be a Linksys-branded AP to a Cisco Enterprise-grade wireless access point and stating the health of your budget will surely help a lot.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Nintendo App

Hall of Fame Super Gold

I have been looking at CISCO EA4500 but am not technically proficient to know whether this would be a good choice.

Can't say anything about this.  I deal mostly with the enterprise-grade systems.

If you purchase a really good router which has enough juice to broadcast across your floors, it doesn't necessarily mean your devices will have the ability to send their data back to it making the investment a bit pointless. Have you considered Ethernet over Power at all? I'd be interested to hear what the experts thing of these as well.

It means plugging in your router/modem into an adapter that connects to a plug on your wall and the home network can run over it although I believe this is limited to devices being on the same circuit / RCD? You can also get wireless adapaters for the other end which are 'dumb' (again, I think) but will broadcast some signal out across the area required.

One way I envision this working is if you have your ADSL connection coming in and connected to your home modem/router which provides wireless coverage on the floor it is placed on with an ethernet link plugged in to your electrical socket which in turn feeds up to the top floor / the next appropriate floor with another wireless router on the other end that can broadcast for that floor and provide wired connectivity as well if you have any PCs/TVs etc to hook up.

This article may be helpful but was written in 2011 so the technology is likely better these days!

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/lanwan-basics/31585-smallnetbuilders-powerline-faq

This sort of setup seems more in your budget if you need multiple devices. Maybe see what Leo says before proceeding though .

-----------------------------
Please rate helpful / correct posts

Help please

Craig-

My brother owns a A/V shop and they ask me to help out with the networking in larger homes. I tackle a large home just like a business, by doing a wireless site survey. That's the only true way to ensure you get the coverage and speeds you need in the locations you need it. You should be able to contact a local A/V shop, a local networking firm, or post on CL that you need a site survey done. The little extra you spend up front will will make your wireless life happier in the long run.

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Craig,

On this forum, we typically know the enterprise solutions and not the SMB equipment. It would be tough for us to remind you equipment with no experience with the SMB type devices. There is a SMB Cisco forum that might be able to help you if you choose that route.

You can't ever say what equipment will work in an environment especially like yours unless you have a similar or identical layout and have knowledge of the RF there. Otherwise, it's best to survey the building to make sure you have the appropriate coverage in areas that you want. If you want to just have coverage in certain locations and don't care about roaming, then you can place the AP's in the areas you require coverage. With roaming being a requirement, a survey is recommended and note that some SMB devices support roaming and many home wireless does not. The enterprise equipment do support roaming.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Help please

Craig,

Wireless site survey does not need to be expensive.  You just need to be patient and persistent.  All you need is a dual-band AP and a wireless laptop which support 802.11a.  Put the AP in an area and walk around with your laptop and check out the wireless signal. 

The biggest problem you'll be facing is cabling.  If you have, say, a long rectangular home and your wireless signal can't cover the entire length and you want to put two (or more) APs then cabling will be your problem (unless you are handy with a cable crimper).

Help please

As it is a home network and roaming wasn't a listed requirement I figured multiple APs with a wired connection between may be enough?

Out of interest Scott / Leo, what are your thoughts on Ethernet over Power - is it something you have used / recommend in certain situations?

Thanks,

Ric

PoE or power over Ethernet is recommended so you don't have to run power to the AP. So if you can, I would, but again... If you already have power to the locations where the access points will be, then it's your choice. The nice thing with PoE, is that you can shut power to the switch port and this reboot the AP if necessary instead of having to unplug or power off and on the access point.

-Scott

Sorry I think you misunderstood - I was asking about Ethernet over Power as outlined in by original post - using a network over the power lines within a house

Cheers,

Ric

I don't have experience with that. All I know for that to work is the outlet has to be on the same circuit.

-Scott
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Ethernet over Power works. I have recommended them to people and they seem to work, however, the people who have used them have NEWLY BUILT homes. Homes that were built during the 80's and older tend to get mixed result.

Ethernet over Power will solve your issue with cabling but do remember that you will not get the rates advertised by the manufacturer. The most you can get is about 14 Mbps.

Wireless site survey ain't just for roaming. It's meant to give you an indication of the amount of wireless AP you may need as well as the location you should be installing the AP to get the coverage you require.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Since you're from across the "pond", your best source of information or review about Ethernet over Power is go to Whirlpool. You should be able to get ideas what models to look out for.

Help please

That is really the only way you can tell if your desing will work or not.  Good luck with your project and let us know what you end up doing.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
16 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Hi Craig,

Can you specify what your budget is?

I mean your solution can either be a Linksys-branded AP to a Cisco Enterprise-grade wireless access point and stating the health of your budget will surely help a lot.

Community Member

Help please

Hi Leo

Say a budget of NZD400 to $500.  I have been looking at CISCO EA4500 but am not technically proficient to know whether this would be a good choice.  I look forward to reading any feedback.

Craig

Hall of Fame Super Gold

I have been looking at CISCO EA4500 but am not technically proficient to know whether this would be a good choice.

Can't say anything about this.  I deal mostly with the enterprise-grade systems.

If you purchase a really good router which has enough juice to broadcast across your floors, it doesn't necessarily mean your devices will have the ability to send their data back to it making the investment a bit pointless. Have you considered Ethernet over Power at all? I'd be interested to hear what the experts thing of these as well.

It means plugging in your router/modem into an adapter that connects to a plug on your wall and the home network can run over it although I believe this is limited to devices being on the same circuit / RCD? You can also get wireless adapaters for the other end which are 'dumb' (again, I think) but will broadcast some signal out across the area required.

One way I envision this working is if you have your ADSL connection coming in and connected to your home modem/router which provides wireless coverage on the floor it is placed on with an ethernet link plugged in to your electrical socket which in turn feeds up to the top floor / the next appropriate floor with another wireless router on the other end that can broadcast for that floor and provide wired connectivity as well if you have any PCs/TVs etc to hook up.

This article may be helpful but was written in 2011 so the technology is likely better these days!

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/lanwan-basics/31585-smallnetbuilders-powerline-faq

This sort of setup seems more in your budget if you need multiple devices. Maybe see what Leo says before proceeding though .

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Help please

Craig,

Wireless site survey does not need to be expensive.  You just need to be patient and persistent.  All you need is a dual-band AP and a wireless laptop which support 802.11a.  Put the AP in an area and walk around with your laptop and check out the wireless signal. 

The biggest problem you'll be facing is cabling.  If you have, say, a long rectangular home and your wireless signal can't cover the entire length and you want to put two (or more) APs then cabling will be your problem (unless you are handy with a cable crimper).

Help please

Craig-

My brother owns a A/V shop and they ask me to help out with the networking in larger homes. I tackle a large home just like a business, by doing a wireless site survey. That's the only true way to ensure you get the coverage and speeds you need in the locations you need it. You should be able to contact a local A/V shop, a local networking firm, or post on CL that you need a site survey done. The little extra you spend up front will will make your wireless life happier in the long run.

Craig,

On this forum, we typically know the enterprise solutions and not the SMB equipment. It would be tough for us to remind you equipment with no experience with the SMB type devices. There is a SMB Cisco forum that might be able to help you if you choose that route.

You can't ever say what equipment will work in an environment especially like yours unless you have a similar or identical layout and have knowledge of the RF there. Otherwise, it's best to survey the building to make sure you have the appropriate coverage in areas that you want. If you want to just have coverage in certain locations and don't care about roaming, then you can place the AP's in the areas you require coverage. With roaming being a requirement, a survey is recommended and note that some SMB devices support roaming and many home wireless does not. The enterprise equipment do support roaming.

-Scott

Help please

As it is a home network and roaming wasn't a listed requirement I figured multiple APs with a wired connection between may be enough?

Out of interest Scott / Leo, what are your thoughts on Ethernet over Power - is it something you have used / recommend in certain situations?

Thanks,

Ric

PoE or power over Ethernet is recommended so you don't have to run power to the AP. So if you can, I would, but again... If you already have power to the locations where the access points will be, then it's your choice. The nice thing with PoE, is that you can shut power to the switch port and this reboot the AP if necessary instead of having to unplug or power off and on the access point.

-Scott

Sorry I think you misunderstood - I was asking about Ethernet over Power as outlined in by original post - using a network over the power lines within a house

Cheers,

Ric

I don't have experience with that. All I know for that to work is the outlet has to be on the same circuit.

-Scott
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Ethernet over Power works. I have recommended them to people and they seem to work, however, the people who have used them have NEWLY BUILT homes. Homes that were built during the 80's and older tend to get mixed result.

Ethernet over Power will solve your issue with cabling but do remember that you will not get the rates advertised by the manufacturer. The most you can get is about 14 Mbps.

Wireless site survey ain't just for roaming. It's meant to give you an indication of the amount of wireless AP you may need as well as the location you should be installing the AP to get the coverage you require.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Since you're from across the "pond", your best source of information or review about Ethernet over Power is go to Whirlpool. You should be able to get ideas what models to look out for.

Community Member

Help please

Hi there

To you all thanks very much for the info.  I like the idea getting a survey undertaken first so will look into that.

Cheers

Craig

Help please

That is really the only way you can tell if your desing will work or not.  Good luck with your project and let us know what you end up doing.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Thanks for taking the time to rate our posts, Craig. 

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content