cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help - printer not found in a wireless network

caojinwei
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, we used a wireless router in my working place to connect laptops to the printer server. The laptop's IP was assigned by DHCP through the router. The printer server had a static IP in the wired network that the wireless router connected in. However, when the printer server was restarted, the laptops cannot find the printer. Can anyone tell me what could be the causes? What method I can use to troubleshoot it?

2 Replies 2

kmarrero
Level 4
Level 4

If the printer has a static IP address, try pinging that IP address from one of the wirless laptops. If you can ping the printer then it is most likely an issue with the networking application. If you cannot ping the printer from the laptop, try pinging it from the router or a wired PC. Most likely it is an issue with the default gateway if nothing can ping it.

Thank you for your response. The thing is: I can ping from a laptop to the printer, but not from the printer to the laptop. Isn't it weird? What can be wrong with the default gateway? The default gateway IP was set as 192.168.1.1, and the laptop IPs are 192.168.1.X (assigned by DHCP). The static IP of the router and the printer are 130.152.X.X.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card