Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with AP selection and troubleshooting

Hello,

We have a office with about 30 people. It has two wings with a narrow hall way in between.

Currently we have three linksys APs (support b/g), one at each wing and one down the hall way. But the connection is really bad (weak signal sometime and drop WLAN). And we not sure why; sometime we pick up other wireless signal from other offices across street even better than us. No microwave or electronic equipment near by the APs. Any ideas?

We would think about upgrade to Cisco APs. Any recommendation? What is major difference between 1252 and 1150? Should I purchase two of these instead of purchase three of 1242?

Also I was testing out WPA2. I have Dell Latitude D630 laptop with Intel proset wireless card. I don't why it does not work if I use intelproset to manage the WIFI; but it works with windown XP to manage the WIFI. Do I need to download any patch?

Thank you all in advance for the help!

Gene

3 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Re: Help with AP selection and troubleshooting

Hi Gene,

Firstly, there's no 1150 AP yet. I believe you are talking about the 1140. Both the 1250 and 1140 support 802.11a/b/g/n (or BANG). The 1250, like the rest of the 1200 series family of AP's are designed for industrial spaces. If you don't have a Wireless LAN Controller (WLC), the 1250 requires 18.5 watts of power both radio modules (optional pricing including the antennae options). You an either use a PoE Plus (PoE+) switch (like the 3560-E or 3750-E), a power injector purchase option, or a mid-span inline switch. The 1250 is fully enclosed in a metal casing and is heavy. The 1140, however, is designed for the office use and has an internal antennae. It can use standard PoE switch, power injector or power brick.

Now we got the different AP's out of the way ... there are many reasons why you aren't able to get good WLAN signal coverage. One of them is the poor placement of AP. In order to do so, get a Wireless LAN Site Survey conducted. You will be able to determine WHERE to deploy AP's and HOW MANY to deploy.

Hope this helps.

Thank you very much for your help.

I have 2.4GHz 2 dBi Diversity external antenna. Does that work with 1252? By looking at the data sheet of 1250, I only see it supports 2.2 dbi antenna. Does that matter?

Also how do I conduct a WLAN site survey? Could someone direct me to?

Thanks a lots for your help!

Gene

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Hi Gene,

Wireless LAN Site Survey - A number of regular contributors can offer to do this. Look for Dennis Holmes (Profile: http://forums.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_user_info%26location%3D.2cd25750/4&author=dennischolmes).

Does the antenna have RP-TNC termination socket? Here are some antennae option for the 1250 series.

Antenna Product Portfolio for Cisco Aironet 1250 Series Access Points

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps7183/ps469/at_a_glance_c45-513837.pdf

Just as a note, when you purchase, for instance, a 1140, you get a fully functional AP. This means radio modules and antennae are fully enclosed in a nice shell. The only downside is that, for the moment, only LWAP IOS is available for this model. Autonomous IOS (aIOS) is scheduled to be released soon. However, when you purchase a 1250, you start first with the unit, then it's an optional purchase for one or both radio modules followed by purchase options between three (3) to six (6) antennaes (if you purchase one radio module, then you might require three antennaes). And this depends entirelly on the model of antennae that you want.

But you need to understand the following:

1. You may need to have a Site Survey conducted to know proper placement of the AP; and

2. AP's model depend on the location. As I said in my previous post, the 1250 is geared up for industrial deployment: wide open spaces and shelves. 1140 is designed for offices with alot of cubicles, compactors and deviders.

This does not mean that you won't find someone deploying 1250 in an office environment and 1140 in a factory floor but, hey, whatever floats your boat.

Hope this post does not offend anyone.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content