Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

help with EAP authentication and 1142n WAP?

hi all

assistance and help would be much appreciated!

I am a newbie for setting up a Cisco WAP 1142n on a RADIUS server 2008 and testing.

I have my Windows Server 2008 all created as a RADIUS server. It has its certificate installed, and my Cisco WAP is set up under RADIUS clients and servers.

The Policies tab has Cisco WAP and the 3 kinds of 802.1x set up under Network Policies.

And obviously i have workstations and domain users included for authentication on the server against the WAP.

on my homepage for the WAP, under Security and SSID manager, my WAP is configured for Radio0-802.11N, open authentication for EAP, with the RADIUS server's IP against the EAP Authentication Servers section.

Enable WPA is on.

The RADIUS server is in the Current Server list.

Local RADIUS server and AAA is set up.

I am testing it on a laptop with Windows Firewall disabled. It starts to connect, then the Intel settings show EAP authentication failure. has anyone else seen this or can help?

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ok, is sounds like you have added the AP as a NAS in the RADIUS server.  What are you trying to achieve with the certificate?  Do you have a pre-shared key / secret setup for the AP on the RADIUS server?  That might be easier since you are only using one AP.

You should be able to issue "show" commands on the AP to verify there is a connection to the RADIUS server. Just b/c they are configured on the AP, it doesn't meen they will exchange authentication information.

Have you started looking at the logs on the AP and the server yet?

It's important you debug the authentication path from the AP first.  Once you see the requests on the AP and you can see them being forwarded to the RADIUS server, then check the server and see if it see's the requests.  This way you can troubleshoot the right component.

The client also needs to have the right configuration for EAP to function correctly.

Re,
Bob

2 REPLIES

Ok, is sounds like you have added the AP as a NAS in the RADIUS server.  What are you trying to achieve with the certificate?  Do you have a pre-shared key / secret setup for the AP on the RADIUS server?  That might be easier since you are only using one AP.

You should be able to issue "show" commands on the AP to verify there is a connection to the RADIUS server. Just b/c they are configured on the AP, it doesn't meen they will exchange authentication information.

Have you started looking at the logs on the AP and the server yet?

It's important you debug the authentication path from the AP first.  Once you see the requests on the AP and you can see them being forwarded to the RADIUS server, then check the server and see if it see's the requests.  This way you can troubleshoot the right component.

The client also needs to have the right configuration for EAP to function correctly.

Re,
Bob

Hi Bob

thanks for answering....

I do indeed have a secret set up on the RADIUS server.

It is my first time setting up a RADIUS and AP together, so bear with me

I will be in looking at the logs on the AP and let you know, thank you!

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content