Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

Help with setup for roaming on 3502 and 1252

Hello everyone, I have a bit suggest about setting up roaming without having it connect different SSID. I figuring when I was at Rochester Institute of Technology college when I walk in hall, I seen my phone wifi signal was never disconnected but seen 1142 (I figured it out what design look like) change from green to blue in every location. My major is Information & Computing Studies at NTID.

My current setup at home:

1. Internet to Untangle Firewall to Cisco Catalyst Express 500 with PoE to two 3502i at home

2. Cisco Catalyst Express 500 to Cisco Catalyst Express 500 with PoE to two 1252 at garage

3. 3502i and 1252 are running Autonomous IOS or Standalone

And also we have smartphones, apple ipads and iphones, and a laptops.

I want to set the same SSID so they should automatically connect via roaming to any location like RIT and even dual band should work too. I do not have Virtual WLC or Windows Server (I should get Windows Server 2008 R2 or 2012 from RIT and I can download virtual WLC too). Will it work without WLC and server?

In case, If it is not possible without WLC then I would like to know what requirement list so I can add to that to make it work.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Gage Burchett wrote:

Stephen,

All of these AP are running WPA2-PSK AES + WPA-PSK TKIP (Cipher AES CCMP + TKIP) with same passhrase and same SSID. Any channel still work? Isn't 802.1x can be used with Windows Server that have RADIUS? Are you sure I leave these same configuration so it will roaming itself or client?

I would stick with channels 1/6/11, those are the standard non overlapping channels for the 2.4GHz side.  For 5GHz, any channel you pick should work as the channels in 5GHz do not overlap.

And yes, so long as the SSID, PSK and VLAN mapping (if you are doing sub-interfaces) are the same, and there is some overlapping of the AP signals, your clients should roam between the AP just fine.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered
9 REPLIES

yes, it will work without a WLC.  Just make sure that the SSID configuraiton is the same on all AP. 

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered
VIP Purple

as Steve wrote...........Yes it will work . So long as the ssid and encryption are the same, and there is overlap between the cells the client should roam between the AP.

You would probably want to configure WDS on your autonmous APs.

Here is a link all about it to help get you started.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/products_configuration_example09186a00801c951f.shtml

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_q_and_a_item09186a00804d4421.shtml

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

WDS is only relelvant if you are using 802.1x, and in a home scenario it would be easier to just use a PSK vs 802.1x

HTH,
Steve

VIP Purple

Re: Help with setup for roaming on 3502 and 1252

if you use 802.1x, then you would want to configure WDS for the key cachin...

if you are using a PSK, then all you need to do is configure the AP exactly the same way, with the exception of the IP address on the BVI interface.

Just be careful.

• 3500 running autonomous IOS is not supported by Cisco TAC, it is not supported officially by TAC, but you can load that autonomous image on it for survey purposes.
  • The autonomous IOS of the 3500 is only available as for site-survey purposes only.  It's not meant to be for wireless service.

Hope it helps.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts.

Community Member

Stephen,

All of these AP are running WPA2-PSK AES + WPA-PSK TKIP (Cipher AES CCMP + TKIP) with same passhrase and same SSID. Any channel still work? Isn't 802.1x can be used with Windows Server that have RADIUS? Are you sure I leave these same configuration so it will roaming itself or client?

Sandeepchoudhary21,

It seem WDS would be required to have WLC or something to configuration with 802.1x that are part of business. For home, I probably want to leave WPA2-PSK AES + TKIP for client to make easier to know password. Actually, I do not have Cisco TAC and these access point I bought from eBay.

Gage Burchett wrote:

Stephen,

I would stick with channels 1/6/11, those are the standard non overlapping channels for the 2.4GHz side.  For 5GHz, any channel you pick should work as the channels in 5GHz do not overlap.

And yes, so long as the SSID, PSK and VLAN mapping (if you are doing sub-interfaces) are the same, and there is some overlapping of the AP signals, your clients should roam between the AP just fine.

HTH,
Steve

Community Member

I am in processing to trying to see if there will work. For channel 1/6/11 these channels are important to make work with roaming or just optional with any channels (1-11)? Just wondering.

Edited:

It seem working. I have tested few minutes ago to change SSID and security from 1252 in garage to become same SSID and security then I take a walk from house to garage with my smartphone. Bam it changed to blue at garage and the signal keep solid. Thank you very much for help. I am apperciate it. I will remember this how to set correct configuration with roaming. Thanks again.

1/6/11 are just the channels to do not overlap in the spectrum.

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Community Member

Alright. I will keep this 1/6/11 in note. Thanks.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content