station-role non-root

station-role non-root bridge

station-role non-root bridge wireless-clients

station-role root

station-role root access-point

station-role root ap-only

station-role root bridge

station-role root bridge wireless-clients

I am trying to bridge the wireless unit to two two Vlans on the 861W. I need two SSIDs, one for each Vlan.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Silver

Re: Help with station-role command

OK. So in that case, you just want the ISR to function as an AP. "Station-role root access-point" should accomplish that.

Here's the config guide for vlans on an ISR:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/1800/wireless/configuration/guide/s37vlan.html

9 REPLIES
Silver

In Access Points, "station-role non-root" and "station-role non-root bridge" are the same. On the ISRs, the two commands are different: "station-role non-root" is considered the universal client mode and "station-role non-root bridge" is considered the non-root bridge mode.

To trunk multiple vlans, you will want bridging, not universal client. So, you'll have one ISR as "station-role root bridge" and the other as "station-role non-root bridge". Add the "wireless clients" keyword to either or both if you want to allow laptops to associate, or not if want to restrict wireless traffic to just the bridge link.

You only need one SSID, for your native vlan. Other vlans will be trunked as subinterfaces but will be carried over the same SSID. So, a sample config:

dot11 ssid MySSID

vlan 1

authentication open

authentication key-management wpa version 2

wpa-psk ascii MySuperSecretKey

int d0

ssid MySSID

station-role root bridge

encryption vlan 1 mode ciphers aes

int d0.1

encap dot1q 1 native

bridge-group 1

int f0.1

encap dot1q 1 native

bridge-group 1

int d0.10

encap dot1q 10

bridge-group 10

int f0.10

encap dot1 10

bridge-group 10

Thanks for the reply, but I think you misunderstood my topology.

I have two wired VLans on the 861W. I want to bridge those VLans to the radio, one each on it's own SSID, so that clients can connect to those VLans through the radio.

What is the difference between station-role root and station-role non-root? Is there a document that explains this?

Silver

Are you trying to do any bridging at all between the two 861W's, or are both ISRs just servicing clients?

I have only one 861W. It's WAN side is connected via wire to a DSL modem. The LAN side has two VLans on two different subnets.

By bridging, I was talking about bridging between those subnets through the integrated access point. I want two different SSIDs on the radio, one each for the two subnets.

Thanks.

Silver

OK. So in that case, you just want the ISR to function as an AP. "Station-role root access-point" should accomplish that.

Here's the config guide for vlans on an ISR:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/1800/wireless/configuration/guide/s37vlan.html

Thanks gamccall. That helped. I think I have a basic wireless config, but I don't think I'm getting DHCP through the wireless. I also need NAT to function through the wireless.

Configs (router and ap) attached.

Help with station-role command

Hello,

I have AP 1131G Aironet and I purchased to use for Polycom device but after reading all manual still could not manage to

configure the interfaces .

I would appreciate if someone help i can even give access to my computer to use serial port or web interface.

It is basically same network with PBX device and one polycom 8440 which Cisco device certified polycom model.

current wireless device connection dropping

Thank you

Taylan

Gold

Hi Taylan,

You should have opened this as a new post as your using completly a different hardware. Could you please open a new post for your issue along with the current running configuration of the AP?

Regards

Najaf

Gold

Hi Thomas,

I have not worked on 861W before but still your configuration looks fine. I hope what you are saying here is client are connecting to wireless but not able to recieve DHCP ip address. This may be due to the fact that your two vlans are not trunked to the switch.

Can you please apply below config and give a try?

config terminal

vlan 2

vlan 3

interface Wlan-GigabitEthernet0

switchport trunk native vlan 1                             

switchport mode trunk

!

Also please provide the output of

show interface wlan-gig0 trunk

Regards

Najaf

Views