cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

High Ceilings

moody
Level 1
Level 1

in a room where ceiling mounts may be our only option - and the ceilings are rather high - around 75'  - will the air-ant2524db-r antenna be able to reach the users on the floor.  If not - what antennas should we be considering?

13 Replies 13

Lin Guo
Level 1
Level 1

Without seeing your site, it is hard to say. But ant2524db-r antenna will not give you a good coverage to the floor.

I would use patch antennas with -8dB increment, to sweep the floor from the side mounting or shooting down from ceiling if you have to.

Try mount it to the side wall if I were you.

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please send the network topology or diagram so that we can provide the exact solution.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you have 75 feet distance (ceiling to floor), you'll need to "engage" (or contact) your Cisco Wireless SE and ask about the 3500p/3600p/3700p wireless access points.

The antenna for the 3500p, ANT25137NP, would work but I'm not sure what is the corresponding antenna for the 3600p and 3700p.    The 3600p is "certified for use with antenna gains up to 6 dBi (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz)".

The main thing is the stadium antenna, ANT25137NP would need to be directly pointed to the floor.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The ceiling height is too high for the antennas you spec'd out. Like the others mentioned, you are better off using a patch antenna. This will be a healer solution, but you can also go with Leo's suggestion and use a stadium AP along with the stadium antenna. These antennas are very heavy and will cost you a lot more than using a standard patch antenna.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Abha Jha
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

air-ant2524db-r is no good for ceiling of height 75 ft.

Please go for :-

Cisco Aironet High Gain Omnidirectional Ceiling Mount Antenna (AIR-ANT1728)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/antenna/installation/guide/ant1728.html

vlad.mihailov
Level 1
Level 1

I understand your choice of the omni directional low gain antenna is to choose an omni directional antenna that has higher elevation gain. Good logic but distance is too big to create a good coverage. A patch antenna isntalled on the side of that warehouse or hangar can be a better choice.

If mounting patch antennas on the building walls is not a good option for you you can try and experiment with using patch antennas at the ceiling. I have not used them this way but have thought of this option and will likely end up trying it at some point. I will appreciate your feedback if you try it.

Thank you.

Please go for :-

Cisco Aironet High Gain Omnidirectional Ceiling Mount Antenna (AIR-ANT1728)

To all,

Please disregard's Jha's post.  The disco-stick, ANT1728, is NOT suitable for a required ceiling height of 75 feet.   Heck, this antenna is only 2.4 Ghz.  Good luck sorting out your co-channel interferrence.

Leo sir u are right.. Omni wll be no good for this high distance..I miscalculated the height.. my mistake..

It is only good till max.. 20-25 feet...

Patch antennae will be a good option...... :-)

Patch antennae will be a good option...... :-)

Nope. 

Patch antennas are the only options... the stadium antennas are basically a patch antenna but weight a ton:)  Others have done installs with patches and seems to work fine.  Yes, I would rather find another way of mounting the access points or antennas, but I'm not onsite to make suggestions.  That's my 2¢

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Patch antennas are the only options

My response of "Nope" was because of the vagueness of the "patch antenna will be a good option".   

haha.... at least you didn't say to disregard my post!  haha

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

LOL.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card