Views
Helpful
Replies

How add/delete an AP from wism

Faisal Shabbir
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

i have 2 wism on each 6500 series box, i got t my network pre configured . last week one of the AP started malfunctioing anyways it was under smartcare support so i  got replacement from cisco now i want to delete the old AP and add this new one

could anyone tell me what are the steps to achive this ??

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes you can move it.

Just configure the primary WLC ip(On which you want to move this AP) and name in High availbility section.

Regards

Dont forget to rate all helpful posts and also mark this question answered, it may help others.

View solution in original post

24 Replies 24

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

First you can enable AP authorization list on the WLC:

Security > AP Policy then enabel the box Authorize MIC APs against auth-list or AAA.

And then add the mac address of each AP yu want to join. If any AP mac is not present in this list then AP will not join.

Hope it helps.

Regards

Thanx Sandeep for your reply right now this chk box is eabled

Accept Manufactured Installed Certificate (MIC)

now how AP will now that which controller it will connect as i said there are four wism in my network

Hi,

The Layer 3 LWAPP WLC discovery algorithm is used to build a controller list. After a controller list is built, the AP selects a WLC and attempts to join the WLC.

1.AP first look for primary and secondary configured WLC.

2.If primary and secondary in not aviolable then it will serach for master controller...
3.If master is also not avilabale then it looks for least loaded WLC. 

If your AP is connected to diiferent WLC and you want to move that AP to different WLC then you must use AP failover functionality.

you must configure this:

Wireless > Access Points > All APs > Select AP > High Availability Configuration

Here assign the primary WLC IP(to which WLC you want to join).

More check here:

http://rscciew.wordpress.com/2014/01/22/ap-failover/

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Thanks again for brief reply I am successfully able to add AP to desired WLC infract I used your procedure to add but instead of using your option I used Accept Manufactured Installed Certificate (MIC) option,

Now is there any way to delete the old AP which was faulty ?

Regards,

Faysal

Hi,

This is mandatory to accept : Accept Manufactured Installed Certificate (MIC) option,

But I am telling you to enable the box for Authorize MIC APs against auth-list or AAA.

Then add mac address for AP for you want top join to WLC. If AP mac address is not present in WLC then that AP will not join to this WLC.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/4400-series-wireless-lan-controllers/98848-lap-auth-uwn-config.html

Regards

without enabling your suggested option still i can see the ap staus is up and running its  showing  Admin Status enabled, operational status REG, up time,controller association time etc.

I know any AP will connect to this WLC because there is no AP auth list is there.

What I told you is to enable suggested option and add mac address of AP(only that AP  you want join to wlc).

Dont add the mac of this Fault AP to wlc then WLC will not detect and join this AP.

Regards

i am confused now why the AP will connect to this controller there are three other controllers as well ??

If you have enable the Mac filtering for AP auth and you did not enter the Mac of fault AP then it will not join to This WLC but it can join to other WLC in network .

Regards

why do i need to add faulty AP again ??? i guess we are heading to wrong direction

ohhh No.

My suggestion is to having AP auth list enabled with mac address of Access Point.

If any AP which dont have the mac address in this list will not join to this WLC.

Like AP 1 have the mac address in auth list then he will join to WLC1.

and AP2 dont have mac address in auth list the it will not join to WLC1.

Regards

i rememebr i had done something WLAN network was down for two days , i would be happy to leave the network as it is coz i am the only one who is managing, i strongly believe that if things are working fine dont try to be inoovative

If its the case then its ok.

I was just suggesting to have more security while joing to AP.

Regards

you are rite sandeep i have aroud three hundread APs and 4 controllers its not easy for me to get the All APs , still i did not get the answer how that AP connected to my desired WLC since there are three more WLCs are in the network

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card