Views
Helpful
Replies

How add/delete an AP from wism

Faisal Shabbir
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

i have 2 wism on each 6500 series box, i got t my network pre configured . last week one of the AP started malfunctioing anyways it was under smartcare support so i  got replacement from cisco now i want to delete the old AP and add this new one

could anyone tell me what are the steps to achive this ??

24 Replies 24

hmmm :)

Ok here is the process:

The AP sends CAPWAP discovery messages to discover the controllers, and each controller responds with a CAPWAP discovery response message. After a list of potential controllers is built, the AP chooses to join one of the discovered controllers using the following order of preference:
1. Primary controller: The AP will associate first with its primary controller, assuming the AP has been primed.
2. Upon failing with the primary, the AP will try to register with its secondary and then its tertiary (if configured).
3. If no controller information is primed in the AP, or if the primary, secondary, and tertiary controllers cannot be reached,
the AP then looks for a master controller. The master controller is a feature you configure on a controller (from Controller > Advanced > Master Controller Mode ). Its purpose is precisely to offer a collection point for APs that cannot join their
primary, secondary, or tertiary controller.
4. Finally, if the AP cannot discover a primed controller or a master controller, the AP will select the least loaded from all controllers that have responded to the discovery. Least loaded is relative to the controller license. In that sense, a 2106
controller with 4 APs is more loaded than a WiSM with 30 APs.
5. If no controller can be discovered, the AP reboots and restarts the discovery process.

Hope thsi clarify.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Thnaks for your brief reply.

1 there is no Master Controller Mode is enabled.

2- there is no pimary, secondary or tertiary is confgired. (not sure)

each controller has 65,66,67,65 APs connected repectively.

lets say if  AP XX is connected to controller A can i forcefully move it to  controller B or C??

Yes you can.

By changing the primary and secondary controller config on specific AP.

Wireless > Access Points > All APs > Select AP > High Availability Configuration and put the ip and wlc name as primaty wlc to which you want to join AP.

More info here.

http://rscciew.wordpress.com/2014/01/22/ap-failover/

regards

Dont forget to rate all helpful posts

i have checked my 4 controllers and all APs have same config means some of them have primary A and secondary C controller and some of them have primary D and secondary E.

what i understand is whenever i will connect any new AP it will be connected to controller A and once its assciotaed than i can move it to another controller

am i right?

Yes you can move it.

Just configure the primary WLC ip(On which you want to move this AP) and name in High availbility section.

Regards

Dont forget to rate all helpful posts and also mark this question answered, it may help others.

Thanks sandeep for your time and support

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Just my 2¢

When you remove an access point or if the AP is no longer joined to a WLC, it will not have an entry in the access point list.  If you manually added a mac filter, then you manually have to remove it.

As far as AP join, etc.  If your brining AP's up, its best to either have master controller enabled or use one of the ap join methods that Sandeep has posted.  Make AP's join only one WLC so you can decide how you will assign AP's to what WLC.  This way, all new AP's will just join one.  If you don't have any of these methods, then its up to the AP which WLC it wants to join.

When the AP has joined, then you should assign the AP to a WL:C.... this should be done on the AP under High Availbility, which Sandeep has posted.  Now you can assing which WLC is the primary, secondary, etc.

This is how it should be done, you should have sites connected on the same WLC and not have them mixed.... not best practice.  That is what is called a salt n pepper design and causes more inter conroller roaming which is not needed.

Example:

WLC1

Site A, B, C

WLC2

Site D,E

WLC3

Site F,G,H

WLC4

Site I,J,K,L

What you want to try to do is balance the number of AP's from a given site to a WLC if you can.  or you can just place sites that are in a region to a WLC.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thnks Scott for more information just a quick question if i enable Master Controller Mode on WLC A will it be any service impact on the network i dont want any down time

No there will be no impact.

No it will not be, but I only enable master or any of the other options when I need to join an AP to a WLC.  Master helps you, because you now only have to look at one WLC to find any new access points.  As long as the master WLC is responding to the AP, that AP will join the master. 

You do still need a mechanism for the AP's to find the WLC, but you probably already have that in place.  Again, this would only point to the master.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card