cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

how can I disable (default enabled) QoS on a radio interface ?

nlariguet
Level 1
Level 1

I have 50% CPU load with all interfaces shutdown and I see the are two processes (dot11 driver and HQF).

I just learned HQF is QoS related:

QoS is disabled by default; however, the radio interface always honors tagged 802.1P packets even when you have not configured a QoS policy.

so question is ? how can I disable QoS on said interface ?

C1841 with 384 MB and HWIC-AP-AG-A

c1841-advsecurityk9-mz.124-22.T.bin

4 Replies 4

dsweeny
Level 3
Level 3

QoS is disabled by default (however, the radio interface always honors tagged 802.1P packets even when you have not configured a QoS policy).

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/1800/wireless/configuration/guide/s37qos.html#wp1034940

I appreciate your answer ... however you are answering me with the same exact line that is posted in my question so frankly I don't understand what's the point of your answer at all.

By the way I just fixed the problem myself a couple of days ago.

Thanks anyway.

Just curious - what did you do to fix the problem? Also, I'm not sure what the actual problem was - were you concerned about wasting CPU time on a service you did not need?

Not actually. I was running 12.4 mainline without any problems for a almost a year. A month ago I bought an HWIC-AP-AG-A which I needed to run on station-role non-root; ie: the universal client mode.

Upon installation of the module on my C1841 I realized I was needing to upgrade to a T image to enable it since mainline didn't detect the interface at all so there I went to 12.4.22T and this is where my problems started: the router went very very unresponsive even from a console connection including exasperating delays while typing a simple command.

I started to investigate a bit and I noticed two processes consuming more than half the CPU power: dot11 driver and HQF which I later realized had to do something with QoS. Since I don't need this feature at all ... thus my question to begin with because these two processes with 50%+ CPU load didn't feel quite right to me at the time.

After diving into many configuration guides and command references and lacking any answers on how to disable said service, a week ago I went with my configuration disabling one line after another and issuing sh processes cpu after each one and voilá; my mainline config included the following three lines:

no exception memory ignore overflow processor

no exception memory ignore overflow io

no scheduler heapcheck process memory processor io

Everything returned normal after deleting these lines on the T image.

These commands were placed a year or so ago following recommendations by a Cisco guide on hardening routers which I don't remember the exact name but I can look for it if needed since I know I have it somewhere on my drives.

So that's it.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card