Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

How can I put wireless and ethernet interfaces together?

I have a 877w router, and I'm trying to configure a wireless network.

I have an RFC1483 bridged ADSL, so I have ATM0.1 in a bridge group, and I then defined a BVI1 interface.

However, after configuring the wireless interface, I noticed that my laptop gets the IP address from the provider, as if wireless had precedence over the BVI interface. Putting the Dot11 interface in a separate bridge under VLAN1 doesn't seem to help either. I tried to put everything in the same bridge, but fast ethernet interfaces don't support bridging (how does the BVI work then, I wonder).

What should I do? Should I use two separate VLANs? I wouldn't like to do that. Any help appreciated. Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: How can I put wireless and ethernet interfaces together?

Hey, thank you, that did it.

So I should have followed more the article. I guess I just don't understand how BVI works. From the article I thought that the BVIs were on the same level, that is, all of them right behind the ATM interface. I was also thinking that one BVI could bridge more VLANs. Now my next mission is to understand why I was wrong on both points.

Guys, thank you for the help. Now I'll try to undertand better what I just did :-)

4 REPLIES

Hello andreaa,

see if this doc helps you:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/access/acs_fix/85x87x/857swcg/eng/pt2/wireless.htm#wp79536

it has some basic configs and examples of configuring wireless on 870 routers...

Hope this helps..

Raj

Thank you. That article seems to support a separate vlan. Not my best option, but at the end it's not a big deal.

I added a VLAN 2 interface, with a separate subnet and a separate dhcp pool, nat inside. I configured everything for bridging, like the article said (I also tried without bridging). I just didn't touch the BVI, because as far as I understand I need BVI 1 for the bridge with the ADSL line.

I still can't make it work.

You will need to configure a BVI 2. Assign the Ip there. And then you wil need to assign the Bridge protocol IEEE and route ip for bridge group 2 just like you did Bridge group 1. This will not effect your current working BVI1.

HTH

Hey, thank you, that did it.

So I should have followed more the article. I guess I just don't understand how BVI works. From the article I thought that the BVIs were on the same level, that is, all of them right behind the ATM interface. I was also thinking that one BVI could bridge more VLANs. Now my next mission is to understand why I was wrong on both points.

Guys, thank you for the help. Now I'll try to undertand better what I just did :-)

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content