cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How can I put wireless and ethernet interfaces together?

andrea.desole
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 877w router, and I'm trying to configure a wireless network.

I have an RFC1483 bridged ADSL, so I have ATM0.1 in a bridge group, and I then defined a BVI1 interface.

However, after configuring the wireless interface, I noticed that my laptop gets the IP address from the provider, as if wireless had precedence over the BVI interface. Putting the Dot11 interface in a separate bridge under VLAN1 doesn't seem to help either. I tried to put everything in the same bridge, but fast ethernet interfaces don't support bridging (how does the BVI work then, I wonder).

What should I do? Should I use two separate VLANs? I wouldn't like to do that. Any help appreciated. Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hey, thank you, that did it.

So I should have followed more the article. I guess I just don't understand how BVI works. From the article I thought that the BVIs were on the same level, that is, all of them right behind the ATM interface. I was also thinking that one BVI could bridge more VLANs. Now my next mission is to understand why I was wrong on both points.

Guys, thank you for the help. Now I'll try to undertand better what I just did :-)

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

sachinraja
Level 9
Level 9

Hello andreaa,

see if this doc helps you:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/access/acs_fix/85x87x/857swcg/eng/pt2/wireless.htm#wp79536

it has some basic configs and examples of configuring wireless on 870 routers...

Hope this helps..

Raj

Thank you. That article seems to support a separate vlan. Not my best option, but at the end it's not a big deal.

I added a VLAN 2 interface, with a separate subnet and a separate dhcp pool, nat inside. I configured everything for bridging, like the article said (I also tried without bridging). I just didn't touch the BVI, because as far as I understand I need BVI 1 for the bridge with the ADSL line.

I still can't make it work.

You will need to configure a BVI 2. Assign the Ip there. And then you wil need to assign the Bridge protocol IEEE and route ip for bridge group 2 just like you did Bridge group 1. This will not effect your current working BVI1.

HTH

Hey, thank you, that did it.

So I should have followed more the article. I guess I just don't understand how BVI works. From the article I thought that the BVIs were on the same level, that is, all of them right behind the ATM interface. I was also thinking that one BVI could bridge more VLANs. Now my next mission is to understand why I was wrong on both points.

Guys, thank you for the help. Now I'll try to undertand better what I just did :-)

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card