Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

How do I keep my AP's from migrating to the wrong subnet?

I have 3 buildings with a seperate SSID for each building. When I set up a new buidling and used dns to set the new ones the AP's started associating with the wrong building even though it had just the primary controller listed with the correct building.

If I see one how do I force it to get to the right one?

thanks for any help

8 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Re: How do I keep my AP's from migrating to the wrong subnet?

Are you saying that even though you have configured Primary Controller settings into your APs they still join the wrong controller?

If this is so, what is the firmware your WLC(s) are running?

If you log into the wrong WLC where the AP in question is joined to and enter the CLI command configure ap primary ?

These are ap's that have been with the same controller for over a year and when I put the lwapp etc. into dns in another building to add new ap's in that new buidling the ones from the other buidlings start going to another controller in another building. I am using 4.02 I believe. The primary controller is correct in the APs but it sits in another subnet.

You could hardcode the IP of the LWAPP/CAPWAP controller you want them to register to when they boot from the CLI of the AP. You could set the primary, secondary, and tertiary controllers in the config AP section for each AP so that when they boot they try to register in that order. Finally, you could use option 43 in the dhcp scope pushing them to a particular controller.

1. The AP from the first building that is now part of the new building's controller still keeps the ip address of the first building and it actually still works.

2. I only keep a primary controller in each AP in the config section.

3. I have option 43 in my first building.

4. To correct what the mess I had I went to the APs in the wrong controllers and had them do a complete hardware reset and they picked up the right controller. They lost the name I gave them.

5. Once an AP is in another controller and it has its correct controller listed how do you get it to just go back to the original? Turning off the power didn't seem to help.

If you move to a later version of code, say 5.2 or later, then they will go back to the original as soon as they see it advertising on the network. Older versions required you to turn of the existing controller forcing the APs back to the Primary.

I have some of the older 1010s and they can't go to 5.2. I'm going to replace soon.

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Hi Gary,

In my experience with the 4.X firmware, there is a known bug between the GUI and the CLI when you configure the Primary/Secondary/Tertiary Controllers.

When using the GUI to configure this settings, most of the time it won't work. You can verify the settings with the CLI command show ap config general . On the bottom of the first page, you will see "Primary Cisco Switch Name" followed by "Primary Cisco Switch IP Address" and so on. To enable the Primary/Secondary/Tertiary Controllers there should be values in BOTH and not just one.

In my experience with this firmware, I had to manually configure the name and IP address and "failover" of the LAP became successful.

This issue has been fixed since the 5.X/6.X firmware.

Hope this helps.

Do you have 'master controller' set on any of the other controllers?

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________
Views
Helpful
Replies