Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

How do I switch which of my 2 WLAN controllers is set to be the controller that accepts new WAPs?

Hello:

I have 2 WLAN controllers, a 4400 series and 5500 series controller.  The 4400 series has 100 seat limit on it, with 74 Access Points currently connected.  The 5500 series has a 250 max, but we bought it with only 50 licenses, and it is max'd out at 50.

The 5500 controller is the controller that has a DNS entry so that the Access Points will know to find that controller as they're being added.  BUT, because we've reached our limit of 50 licenses, I'd like to be able to set the 4400 series controller to be the controller that new Access Points try to connect to.  By going back to the 4400 as the controller that new Access Points connect to buys me time to plan for more licenses on next years budget for the 5500 controller.

Does anyone know how I can do this?  Does this make any sense...seeing there are 2 WLAN controllers in my environment.        

Thank You,

Jon         

Everyone's tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

How do I switch which of my 2 WLAN controllers is set to be the

no, the DNS entry is specific to the discovery process.  You want the IS-WLC-2 in the 'primary' name field

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered
29 REPLIES

Re: How do I switch which of my 2 WLAN controllers is set to be

The address you give in option 43 or DNA is where the discover request gets sent. The reply should have both WLC in it do long as they are both in the same mobility group.

That being said, on the 4400 turn in Master Controller Mode. That will force all the AP to join it.

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Thanks for the reply Steve, I appreciate it!

I found the "Master Controller Mode" option on the controller.  By doing this,  what happens to the existing 50 Access Points I have on the 5500 (the other controller)?  Will they also try to get sucked over to the 4400?  Or will it keep them in their place and just set it so NEW access points get added to the 4400?

My fear is trying to fix one problem, and breaking something else.

Thanks again!

Jon

If you have the primary/secondary set on the AP, nothing will change.  MCM only works for AP that do not have a configured primary.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Steve!  I am going to try this on Monday morning.

I am just about to head offsite, and would rather hold off until Monday.  I'll update you with how it went.

Jon

One more question Stephen before I attempt this (forgive my fears, I am very short staffed at the moment, and just don't want to break anything causing more work for myself)...

You stated above that if I have the primary/ secondary set on the AP that nothing will change.  Is there an easy way for me to check/ verify that the primary/ secondary is in fact set on the APs?

Thanks,

Jon

You would need to check each AP.  If you have WCS, you could push a template to the AP, just to set/override what is currently there.

HTH,
Steve

Check the AP via the WLC web interface?  I log into the WLC, and I'm clicking on an AP, and looking at all tabs/ menus to see how I can tell if set for "primary/ secondary" and I can't tell where that is. 

You've been extremely helpful, and I appreciate your patience as you can tell I do not have much Cisco experience with WiFi or WLAN controllers.

Jon

Login to the WLC, go to the Wireless tab, then pick an AP.  on the High Availability tab.  You have a spot for the name, and the IP address.

HTH,
Steve

Ah-ha...I see.  Thanks.  The fields are all blank.  Do I go through all 50 APs on my max'd out 5508 and tell it the primary controller is itself by inserting the controllers IP address?  That would theoretically assign all 50 of them to the 5508.  Would I then tell all 50 that the secondary controller is my 4400 and enter its IP address?  Or am I oversimplifying this step of setting primary/ secondary

Then go to the 4400 and enable Master Controller Module to manage any existing unmanaged APs and add them to the 4400?

If this is correct, please verify and I will give it a shot.

I also read that Master Controller Module should be turned off usually unless trying to add APs.  Do you recommend that I turn it off once done like I read in other article?

Thanks,

Jon

Correct.  Go in and set the primar to the WLC you want that AP to be on.

Once you get all the new AP on, turn off MCM.

HTH,
Steve

Great thanks.  Should I list the 4400 as the secondary?  Or do I only need to tell the 50 APs that are on the 5500 that the 5500 is its primary?

The 4400 is the one I am going to enable Master Controller Module on...do I need to tell the APs on the 4400 anything about primary/ secondary?  I will if I have to, just looking to save time.

You can get away with just setting the one's on the 5508.  You don't have to set the secondary either, as they will try to fail to the 4400 by default.

HTH,
Steve

Thanks Stephen.  Will attempt this afternoon or first thing tomorrow morning.

Either way, I will update you of my results.  One last question...do I need to provide WLAN controller name AND IP...or will IP address suffice?

Thanks a TON for all your help!

Jon

Actually it's the WLC name that is important, over the IP address.

HTH,
Steve

And the "name" is found when you log into the controller, and choose the "Controller" menu at the top, it is the "Name" field, in my case "is-WLC-2."

Thanks Stephan.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Jon

I'm starting to pregame to make this switch, and see the name is "IS-WLC-2" within the name field within the "controller menu" while logged into the WLC web interface. 

BUT, this is a different name than what I have in DNS.  In DNS, I have 2 entries for the same IP address: Cisco-CAPWAP-Controller and Cisco-LWAPP-Controller (both names resolve to the same IP address). 

Should I put the DNS name in the "Primary" field of the controller; or put in the name that I see written in the "name field" of the controller menu which is IS-WLC-2?

no, the DNS entry is specific to the discovery process.  You want the IS-WLC-2 in the 'primary' name field

HTH,
Steve

Thanks Stephen!

Jon

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Jon,

If Steve has answered your question, can you rate his post and mark it correct.  This will help others when they are searching the forum and Steve in his pursuit of others

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Stephen,

I just set all the APs on the 5508 to have their "primary" as the 5508 (is-wlc-2).  I then logged into my 4400 series, switched on the "Master Control Mode" and "applied" it, but after a refresh I still do not see the 3 APs I'm trying to add.  I even did a search via the MAC address and it found nothing.  Any thoughts?  Am I missing a step?

Thanks,

Jon

Okay... so are the 5508 and the 4400 are on the smae subnet correct?  You didn't specify what ap's you have.  the newer aps like the 3500 require 7.x, the 3600 require 7.1.x. 

-Scott

Sorry, meetings all day.

Yes, they';re on the same subnet and the APs are cisco aironet 1131 AG Access Points.

I was under the impression that once I enabled Master Control Mode, that I would see the MAC addresses of the 3 WAPs that are on my network, but not managed yet by the controllers.

Jon

Re: How do I switch which of my 2 WLAN controllers is set to be

You may want to power cycle the AP to kick off the discovery process anew.

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Thanks Stephen...I tried power cycling, and had no luck.  Any other thoughts?

Okay... so now you need to post your show run-config (issue a config paging disable before the sow command) on both WLC and also post the output of the AP that you are trying to have join the WLC.

-Scott

Thanks Scott.  I am not too sure how to do this.  I am in process of hiring a new network engineer that has Cisco certs and experience.  But right now I'm in the "in between phases" of having an engineer on staff and some of this stuff I am unfamiliar with. 

If you want to give me a few bullet instructions on how to do this, I'll certainly give it a shot and post the output.  Sorry to not bring more Cisco knowledge to the table...it's not my area of expertise.

I REALLY appreciate the help both you and Stephen have provided to me thus far.

Jon

Hall of Fame Super Gold

If you have 3600 in your network, what is the firmware both your controllers are running on?

Console or SSH into the WLC and in the command line issue:

config paging disable

show run-config

Do this on both WLC's and attach the text file to this thread.

-Scott

Thanks, I'll try this in the morning.

I thought of something this evening while at home...Seeing I have 2 WLAN controllers, only the 5500 is listed as an A record on my DNS server.  The 4400 is not listed.  The 4400 is the one I'm attempting to enable master Controller Mode on, so that the 4400 can discover and manage any unmanaged APs.  I enabled Master Controller Mode, but I never changed the DNS A record's IP address to reflect the 4400.  If I change the DNS entry to be the IP of the 4400, then enable Master Controller Mode, do you think the controller will then see the APs?  I ask because a few threads ago, I asked Stephen which name to use when assigning a name to the primary controller...use the name on the controller or the name in DNS.  Stephen replied: "no, the DNS entry is specific to the discovery process. You want the IS-WLC-2 in the 'primary' name field."

So, I'm hoping that switching the A record to be the 4400's IP address AND enabling master Control Mode will allow the APs to be discovered and managed.  Does this sound plausible?

Thanks

Jon

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content