cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do setup an open guest network on WAP321?

tomisaacson
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to setup an open guest network on a WAP321. I run through the setup wizard and everything seems fine but when I try to connect it fails on Windows, OSX and Android. Win7 has the error:

802.11 connection failed due to status code 17: Association denied because AP is unable to handle additional associated stations

What does this mean and how do I fix it? I'm not doing anything clever, just using the wizard for setup.

8 Replies 8

mohanak
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Association denied because AP is unable to handle additional associated stations

Will happen if you run out of AIDs on the AP; so try associating a large number of stations.

Refer the link : https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/141136/80211-association-status-80211-deauth-reason-codes

I have no idea what that means. If I run through the setup wizard how do I "associate a large number of stations"?

First of all, I'm not familiar with the WAP300 series AP (and neither do I work for Cisco), however, I would like to see if I can provide some sort of assistance.  

Don't know if you've ever seen this website before but this is the office Small Business Knowledge Base website for products like WAP3XX.  The website is HERE.  You've got two search fields.  The first one, choose Access Point and the second one enter "WAP321".   What I did was put the comment of "WAP321 open" and I've looked and found this funny article called Enabling Multiple Wireless Networks on RV320 VPN Router, WAP321 Wireless-N Access Point, and Sx300 Series Switches.  If you scroll down to the document, you'll find a WAP321 segment and how to set up a new SSID.  For the sake of troubleshooting, can I ask if you can create an OPEN authentication SSID and see if your wireless clients can authenticate successfully?  If they can, then you crank up the security and encryption until they break.  

Final straw, look at THIS website.  It's got videos (heck, I don't know WHY they have to be videos instead of PDF or HTML).  

I hope this helps. 

I'm seeing this problem with an open network so not sure why you're suggesting I "crank up the security and encryption". I did try creating a standard WPA2 network just to check and all my clients fail to connect in the same way.

Ok, stupid question:  What firmware is the WAP321 running?

It came with 1.0.2.3 but when I first had this problem I upgraded to 1.0.4.4 - no difference.

How many WAP321 do you have and how many are exhibiting this behaviour.  

If you have a spare or if this behaviour is evident in, example, 1 out of 3 units then blow the config away and see if it makes any difference.  

Another thing, OK open authentication doesn't work.  Can you try a different "brand"?  The objective is to determine something in the wireless client is stopping this.  

I've only got one. Every time I try this I do a factory reset then run through the setup wizard, so there's no config kept.

As I already said, I'm also seeing this problem on a WPA2 network not just an open one.

The one thing I have learned is that when I work late it starts working. I'm wondering if there's something else on our network that's telling it all the AIDs have been used up? But I want this to work as a standalone access point so that's how I've tried to configure it.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card