Views
Helpful
Replies

How do you print from BYOD networks

tdennehy
Level 1
Level 1

This might not be the right place to ask this question, but here goes:

We have a guest WLAN, and we want to encourage employees to use their own tablets at work.  They'll bring in their device and get on the guest WLAN, and then go out to the internet and come back via a Citrix gateway.

They'll launch a citrix session and will be able to do their work.  They'll be able to do everything they can do now from the virtual environment.

But...how are we handling the "I want to print this document on my tablet" to a work printer?  Would Cisco ISE be the right way to go, or is there any other magic that I'm unaware of?

We don't want regular BYOD gear on our production network for obvious reasons.

I think that somehow being able to open a file that is on your tablet in your virtual environment would be one way to get the job done, but are there any other ways?

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this isn't the right place to ask this question.

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Look at it this way... Where do these BYOD devices land on. Typically a DMZ network. So you will never or should never be able to print. Doesn't matter if you use ISE or not because your printers have an internal IP address and your BYOD has an IP from the DMZ. With ISE you would put the BYOD on the internal network and push out an acl that permits them to print bit denies everything.... But that means the BYOD is inside.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I agree.   You would either have to be able to copy a file from your iPad/laptop to the Citrix session somehow and then print, or be able to print right from your device.  I don’t see how you would print straight from your device since you are outside of the network AND you wouldn’t have the drivers loaded on it for your work printer.

However, management thinks they want this, so I have to figure out a solution.  BYOD will have to be inside - and that's all there is to it.

Yeah... you would have to move it inside and ACL everything:)

Thanks,

Scott

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card