Cisco Support Community
Community Member

How do you set the Tx key= in WepKey on Linux?

I am using a Cisco Aironet 350 PCMCIA card on my IBM Thinkpad T21 running Mandrake Linux 8.2. The card works fine at my workplace with LEAP, and it also works fine at home as long as I disable wep. I have a Linksys BEFW11S4 at home as my access point, so I cannot use LEAP at home.

When I enable wep on both the Linksys and Aironet, using the same wep key on both, I can associate but cannot get a DHCP address from the Linksys.

I did cat /proc/driver/aironet/eth1/WepKey, and I saw the following:

[root@speckles eth1]# cat WepKey

Key 0 set with length = 13

Key 1 set with length = 13

Key 4 set with length = 13

Tx key = 0

I think my problem is that I want to have Tx key = 4 set, since Key 4 is my home key and I don't want to change keys 0 and 1 which were already set by my workplace sysadmin.

I have tried doing echo "Tx key = 4" >> WepKey and echo 4 >> WepKey, but neither changed the Tx key setting.

Does anyone know how I can change the "Tx key =" setting?

-Dennis Reed

Re: How do you set the Tx key= in WepKey on Linux?

Since there has been no response to your post, it appears to be either too complex or too rare an issue for other forum members to assist you. If you don't get a suitable response to your post, you may wish to review our resources at the online Technical Assistance Center ( or speak with a TAC engineer. You can open a TAC case online at

If anyone else in the forum has some advice, please reply to this thread.

Thank you for posting.

CreatePlease to create content