Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

How does a typical client endpoint select 802.11n over 802.11a\b?

In an enviroment with WCS and a WLC5508 with 40 AP's (WAPs are either 1262's and 1252's), I have noticed that the bulk of users are infact operating on 802.11g although most operating notebooks are running 802.11n capable NICs (including my own laptops NIC - but yet when I connect I connect at 54Mbps.). Only a small portion of registered clients are using 802.11n.

All my WAPs have both radios enabled?

My question is how does a client notebook select a "prefered" band of 802.11n. I know in some cases the wireless NICs themselves have an option to select the "Prefered Band", but there are many notebooks out there that dont have this option.

What would make a client connect at 802.11n over 802.11g? Who makes that call ?

Everyone's tags (7)
5 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

How does a typical client endpoint select 802.11n over 802.11a\b

As long as your WLC and AP's are configured for 802.11N, the client is the decision maker.  On the 5ghz radio, make sure you have 40mhz channel width and on the ssid, make sure wmm is enabled.  802.11n also requires wpa2/aes or open authentication.  WPA/TKIP and WEP is not supported in 802.11n.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks for the info but how does the client select the band. If you go to wireless NIC properties, the options vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. Some have a preference options whereby you can select a "preferred band". Most don’t have options and some simply state "Auto". So the question is how does the client that is capable of both, select a band to join if both are active? How does it prefer 802.11n over 802.11g? Or in this case, prefer 802.11g over 802.11n?

Do 802.11g supports WPA2 with

Do 802.11g supports WPA2 with AES? 

Hall of Fame Super Gold

What would make a client connect at 802.11n over 802.11g? Who makes that call ? 

It's always the client.

This gets even "worst" when you are talking about SmartPhones and Android/iOS/BB tablets.  You see them connect to "n" but their data rates won't go higher than MCS 7.   If this happens to you then maybe you'd like a little bit of reading with this article:  Designing 'iPad WLANs' poses new, renewed challenges

Thanks for the info........ yeah interesting. One thing that I have found to improve things in this environment is to enable "Band Select" to make the 802.11n more favourable. Then enabling "Radio load balancing" to ensure the 802.11n radios do not get oversubscribed.

Also, some client drivers/NICs actually have the option to select a "Preferred band"...not all NIC's have these options though.

Views
Helpful
Replies