Views
Helpful
Replies

How does Lightweight AP gets config from WLC

mahesh18
Level 6
Level 6

Hi all,

Our client have cisco 5500 Wireless lan controllers.

They connect to core switch and other ports conenct to various switches on each floor.

Then we have cisco AP 1300 series mounted on celing.

I was reading that lightweight AP gets config from WLC  as soon as they plug in.

Need to know how the AP gets config from WLC switches?

Thanks

MAhesh

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

hi

first of all the controller must be configured correctly

see this document:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.0MR1/configuration/guide/wlc_cg70MR1.html

then

you can configure the wired port where the ap is connected on the right vlan

and then

the ap will take ip address and the ip ap manager of controller for associating

regards

View solution in original post

Hello Mahesh,

You have to have something in mind:

The access point can be on any VLAN that you want, you just need to make sure that the access point gets an IP address (DHCP server or statically) and that you can discover your wireless LAN controller. Here is a good document to understand this:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_tech_note09186a00806c9e51.shtml

So, the access point can be on a totally different VLAN than the WLC or on the same subnet, you can even configure your wireless LAN controller as a DHCP server if you want but you have to make sure that the DHCP request can reach the WLC.

You can check the IP address of the access point once you can see the access point on the WLC by going to the GUI > Wireless Tab > Click on the AP name's link > And there on the AP's general tab you will see the AP's IP address and you can change it by checking the "Static IP" check-box if you like.

Then you can configure any SSID or SSIDs that you want and link then to the VLANs that you want and the switchport configuration where the access point is will still be an access port (not trunk) because that information will go to the WLC encapsulated on a tunnel.

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

hi

first of all the controller must be configured correctly

see this document:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.0MR1/configuration/guide/wlc_cg70MR1.html

then

you can configure the wired port where the ap is connected on the right vlan

and then

the ap will take ip address and the ip ap manager of controller for associating

regards

Hi Vincenzo,

Thanks for reply.

I did sh cdp nei on access switch where AP is connected.

advertisement version: 2
Duplex: full????????????????
Power drawn: 15.400 Watts
Power request id: 56391, Power management id: 46
Power request levels are:15400 14500 0 0 0
Management address(es):

I was told that wi fi is half duplex but this  port shows full duplex do you  know why?

Also can i know if this AP is getting power from switch or not ?

i did

h power inline gigabitEthernet 5/39
Available:1400(w)  Used:1294(w)  Remaining:106(w)

Interface Admin  Oper            Power(Watts)     Device              Class
                            From PS    To Device
--------- ------ ---------- ---------- ---------- ------------------- -----

Gi5/39    auto   on         16.4       15.4       AIR-CAP3502I-A-K9   3

Interface  AdminPowerMax   AdminConsumption
             (Watts)           (Watts)
---------- --------------- --------------------

Gi5/39                30.0                 15.4

the radio interface is "half-duplex"

but the wired interface is full duplex

this is correct

yes is powered from the switch  see Power(watt) ) 15.4

regards

Hi Vincenzo,

When you say radio interface you mean wi fi connection from AP  to User pc is half duplex right?

Thanks

MAhesh

yep

Hi Vincenzo,

I check the config on access switch port where AP is connected

switchport access vlan 21

switchport mode access

spanning-tree portfast

And i checked that vlan 21 is data vlan on the access switch .

Can you please tell me how can i check that config on WLC  from where AP gets the IP?

should i check that in command line of WLC  or gui?

Thanks

mahesh

Hello Mahesh,

You have to have something in mind:

The access point can be on any VLAN that you want, you just need to make sure that the access point gets an IP address (DHCP server or statically) and that you can discover your wireless LAN controller. Here is a good document to understand this:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_tech_note09186a00806c9e51.shtml

So, the access point can be on a totally different VLAN than the WLC or on the same subnet, you can even configure your wireless LAN controller as a DHCP server if you want but you have to make sure that the DHCP request can reach the WLC.

You can check the IP address of the access point once you can see the access point on the WLC by going to the GUI > Wireless Tab > Click on the AP name's link > And there on the AP's general tab you will see the AP's IP address and you can change it by checking the "Static IP" check-box if you like.

Then you can configure any SSID or SSIDs that you want and link then to the VLANs that you want and the switchport configuration where the access point is will still be an access port (not trunk) because that information will go to the WLC encapsulated on a tunnel.

Hi Marco and Vincenzo,

Many thanks for explaining we the stuff in detail.

Regards

Mahesh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card