Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How many HREAP APs can a WLC2106 support

Excuse me for this dumb question.

We've got a small Headquarter WLAN and several small remote locations. Already has four APs at the main site and trying to place one at each remote sites using H-REAP. Just trying to save some money without having to upgrade our controller

I know the general Cisco doc says the 2106 only support a max of six LWAPP APs. But lately in another doc comparing the different product it says Eight APs can be supported.

Yet in another doc it mentions no limit on the number of HREAP APs at a site. I wonder if it mean the H-REAPs are not accounted for limite.

So I just want to clarify the true max number of APs my 2106 controller supports, include H-REAP APs.

Appreciate it very much!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Silver

Re: How many HREAP APs can a WLC2106 support

This isn't a dumb question at all! H-REAP is one of the most confusing concepts of Lightweight design, especially if you've been around long enough to see all the evolutions of H-REAP design. :/

H-REAP access points still maintain connections to a controller while that controller is available. So the number of H-REAPs you have will detract from the number of access point you can control from your controller.

There is indeed no longer a limit to the number of H-REAPs you can deploy per controller, so your max is the max of the controller. For a 2106, you can support 6 access points, H-REAP or otherwise. I'm not sure why that doc said 8, it's definitely six :D

Jeff

3 REPLIES
Silver

This isn't a dumb question at all! H-REAP is one of the most confusing concepts of Lightweight design, especially if you've been around long enough to see all the evolutions of H-REAP design. :/

H-REAP access points still maintain connections to a controller while that controller is available. So the number of H-REAPs you have will detract from the number of access point you can control from your controller.

There is indeed no longer a limit to the number of H-REAPs you can deploy per controller, so your max is the max of the controller. For a 2106, you can support 6 access points, H-REAP or otherwise. I'm not sure why that doc said 8, it's definitely six :D

Jeff

I was afraid this is going to be the answer :((

Just found that, instead of moving up to the 4000 series which is at least a little over $6000 per piece, there are 2112 and 2125 available now for 12 aps and 25 aps respectively.

But what's point of putting 12 APs on a 100mbps uplink unless they are pretty much all H-REAP with local switching? There are eight FE ports on the box. Can't they just alow Ethernet Channels to bridge the performance gap between 100mbps and 1gbps?

Have you heard of Aerohive? They use really smart standalone APs that work with each others like routers, exchanging stateful, routing, loadsharing, RF, security policy, and a whole bunch of information. Thus there is essentially no need of a wireless switch, single point of failure, bottleneck, and capacity upgrade issue. They call it Cooperative Control architecture. They do have a management piece but it's not essential to the WLAN operation. Their APs are just slightly more than the Cisco LWAPP APs but you don't have to buy an expensive controller. All you do is just configure the AP IP and drop it into the network and it will become part of the mesh with both wired and wireless connection.

I was just trying to see if I could hang on to our Cisco Wireless controller. I just need to add 4-5 more APs at the remote offices in the near future.

Thanks a lot for your quick answer. I guess I have no other choice now.

Silver

You're welcome, sorry it wasn't the best of news for you.

Truth be told, the 2100-series controllers are meant to be low-end and cheaper alternatives to the 4400-series controllers. There are several things that the 2100s cannot do, such as anchor tunneling, I believe. 100Mbps ports and etherchannel restrictions also plague the 2100s.

Ultimately, I always recommend installing the 4400s. If you absolutely have to save money, be sure that you get a full list of features that you'll be doing without by going with the 2100s.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content