Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Users might experience few discrepancies in Search results. We are working on this on our side. We apologize for the inconvenience it may have caused.

how the AP removes the unresponsive wireless client from the association table

Hi All,

I'd like to know the details regarding how the Cisco autonomous AP(not lightweight) removes the unresponsive wireless client from the association table. Is there a keepalive message exchanged between the client and the AP? If yes, how often is the message exchange?

I noticed on the autonomous AP, there is a "packet retries xxx drop-packet" command. If the maximum retry is reached, the AP disassociates the client because the client did not respond to max keep-alive messages sent by the AP. In this case, what is the time interval of this retry packet?

If somebody can point a link, that would be great. Thanks.

Robert

5 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

how the AP removes the unresponsive wireless client from the ass

In unified, AP or WLC doesn't send probes/hearbeat/null-data to its connected client, However if there is no activity until useridle timeout then it kicks that client.

Re: how the AP removes the unresponsive wireless client from the

I really need to know the autonomous wireless system. Thanks.

Bronze

It is the user idle-timeout value configured under the Controller - General menu.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Cisco Employee

Yes.

The User Idle Timeout: When a user is idle without any communication with the LAP for the amount of time set as User Idle Timeout, the client is deauthenticated by the WLC. The client has to reauthenticate and reassociate to the WLC. It is used in situations where a client can drop out from its associated LAP without notifying the LAP. This can occur if the battery goes dead on the client or the client associates move away.

how the AP removes the unresponsive wireless client from the ass

I really need to know how the autonomous AP(not lightweight AP) disassociates the client. I don't see any keep-alive command that can be configured. Thanks.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content