Views
Helpful
Replies

How to access to access point via console cable

Peter Handke
Level 1
Level 1

Hello.

I try access to ap AIR-CAP2602E-E-K9 via console cable and it not works. I use the same cable and the same serial port settings  as for 3750 switch and other cisco routers. There is nothing on monitor or sometimes i get some strange sign. I try to type sh version, sh inventory and sh ip interface brief command. there is some special cable or port settings ? I use usb-rs232 converter.

thanks for help

Peter

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Please check your console cable again.
Please check the baud rate.
Check the com port .

Regards
Please rate helpful posts

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

View solution in original post

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

The Cisco AP's can be very picky about the USB to Serial converters that they will work with.

They tend not to like the cheap ones off Ebay.

My prediction would be that is the cause of the issue. Have you got a different model of USB to Serial to try? I have found that the better quality ones work better. Switches seem to work fine with all of them but AP's can be picky.

Failing that, find a laptop that has a serial port built in.

HI Peter ,

please mark this questioin as answered,

Regards

12 Replies 12

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Please check your console cable again.
Please check the baud rate.
Check the com port .

Regards
Please rate helpful posts

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

It's the same cable and the same laptop which i connect to 3750 which is next to the ap. I powered this AP only from switch, it can be a problem ? My serial port settings are  9600,8,n,1

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

The Cisco AP's can be very picky about the USB to Serial converters that they will work with.

They tend not to like the cheap ones off Ebay.

My prediction would be that is the cause of the issue. Have you got a different model of USB to Serial to try? I have found that the better quality ones work better. Switches seem to work fine with all of them but AP's can be picky.

Failing that, find a laptop that has a serial port built in.

Normally if it works on the switch it should work on the AP. Unless the baud is jacked up. Are you seeing anything in the terminal ?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

I sometimes see 1-2  strange characters but generally is black/empty console window

make sure your flow control is set to none.  Swithces and routers allow it to be RTS/CTS, but the AP needs flow control to be off.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Using original cable deliverd with CISCO device

Abha Jha
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Have you tried below options?

-          Is this a newly bought AP?

-          If you have other AP's, do they work fine on the console?

-          Have you tried different console cables?

-          Are you using USB-Serial converter? Can you please directly connect the console
cable to a serial port on a PC?

-          Have you made sure that the console software uses the following parameters:

o   9600 baud.

o   8 data bits.

o   no parity.

o   1 stop bit.

o   and no flow control.

If you have tried the above option and answers are yes for all the options above  and still you are not able to access your AP via this console cable then please order a new console cable..

Peter Handke
Level 1
Level 1

i change converter usb->rs232 and it works ! thanks for help

HI Peter ,

please mark this questioin as answered,

Regards

Had a feeling it would be that, it seems odd that the same cable works with a switch/router but not with an AP but I have found that to be the case with cheaper USB>Serial cables

Its worth investing in a better quality one off Ebay,

Tive o mesmo problema, com um Adaptador USB para RS232

Funcionou em Roteador e Switch , porém em AP Cisco não consegui utilizar, o cabeamento.

É melhor Verificar a Qualidade do Adaptador usb que utilizamos. Vale a pena Investir , aqui no Brasil utilizar um de Marca Feasso !!  ou de boa qualidade.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card