Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

How to change enable password of APs without having to manually reset them to factory default?

We have inherited the wireless infrastructure of our client from someone else. While playing around, I realized that we don't have the enable password of the APs to configure them via cli.

The setup is spread throughout the country and it's not possible to go and manually reset them to factory default. I understand that there is an option on the WLC to do a 'clear config' on each individual AP which will in effect do a factory reset, but my understanding is that once it joins the WLC back and download the config from WLC, it will again set the enable password which is configured currently (and unknown to us). Do I understand this correctly?

Will the option to change the enable password globally from WLC (Wireless -> Global config -> Login credentials)  help me in overriding the existing password without knowing the existing? Will the APs take this change?

Any help/pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
VIP Purple

HiWill the option to change

Hi

Will the option to change the enable password globally from WLC (Wireless -> Global config -> Login credentials)  help me in overriding the existing password without knowing the existing? Will the APs take this change?

Yes, this will work, you can override it from WLC.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

8 REPLIES
VIP Purple

HiWill the option to change

Hi

Yes, this will work, you can override it from WLC.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Hi Rasika, Thank you for the

Hi Rasika,

Thank you for the quick response. I will try to implement this in our next change window. One quick question, is a reboot of the APs needed to take the change?

P.S: I am a huge fan of your blog :)

Thanks,

Utkarsh

VIP Purple

Hi Utkarsh,No need to reload

Hi Utkarsh,

No need to reload your APs. 

Nice to know you are a fan of my blog smiley

Let us know once you do the change. Do not forget to rate our responses if it is useful.

HTH

Rasika

Rasika,Sure, I'd update the

Rasika,

Sure, I'd update the thread after implementing the change, which should be by the end of August '14.

Thanks,

Utkarsh

Hi Rasika,Just to update, we

Hi Rasika,

Just to update, we implemented the change last weekend and overriding the credentials globally worked!

Thanks,

Utkarsh

VIP Purple

Great to hear :)

Great to hear :)

Gold

Override the global

Override the global credentials for a specific access point and assign a unique username, password, and enable password to this access point as follows:

1. Choose Access Points > All APs to open the All APs page.
  2. Click the name of the access point for which you want to override the global credentials.
  3. Choose the Credentials tab. The All APs > Details for (Credentials) page appears.
  4. Select the Over-ride Global Credentials check box to prevent this access point from inheriting the global username, password, and enable password from the controller. The default value is unselected.
  5. In the Username, Password, and Enable Password text boxes, enter the unique username, password, and enable password that you want to assign to this access point.
    Note   

The information that you enter is retained across controller and access point reboots and if the access point joins a new controller.

6. Click Apply to commit your changes.
  7. Click Save Configuration to save your changes.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/7-4/configuration/guides/consolidated/b_cg74_CONSOLIDATED/b_cg74_CONSOLIDATED_chapter_01101011.html#ID706

Hello,Thanks for the reply. I

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. I did toyed with the idea about overriding the username/password of individual APs, but doing it on multiple controller was bit too much of a task for me and was hoping if there is any other way to do it globally. :)

Thanks,

Utkarsh

Views
Helpful
Replies