Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to configure HA between local controller and remote controller in DC

Good day,

If I have two Cisco 5508 Controllers, running Software version 7.4, how would my failover happen when the AP's run in local mode, and the local controller fail, and you configured your remote controller as your secondary controller.  Question is, will the APs automatically convert to FlexConnect mode when they failover to the remote controller in the DC?  I know you cannot configure HA as the controllers have to be connected with ethernet copper cable on the redundancy port, giving you a distance limitation of 100m.

Thank you in advance

Adrian

5 Replies 5

john smith
Level 1
Level 1

you have to configure the APs for flexconnect manually they never change their mode frol local to flex automatically

socondly your both controllers should be not on the remote site, they have to get conected to each other directly on the service ports.

Thanks Waseem, so I have the limitation of 25 APs per FlexConnect Group at the site then.  If I have more than 25, I'll have to configure two or more Flex groups, depending on areas where the clients will roam.  Can you configure one SSID on the controller, but that one SSID is part of two or more Flex Groups?

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello ,

As per your query i can suggest you the following solution-

In wireless network deployments that run controller versions earlier than 5.0, when a controller goes down, it takes a long time for all the APs and the associated clients to move to a backup controller and for wireless service to resume.

The features discussed in the document are implemented on the controller CLI in WLC software release 5.0 in order to decrease the time that it takes for access points and their associated clients to move to a backup controller and for wireless service to resume after a controller goes down:

• In order to reduce the controller failure detection time, you can configure the heartbeat interval between the controller and access point with a smaller timeout value.
  • In addition to the option to configure primary, secondary, and tertiary controllers for a specific access point, you can now also configure primary and secondary backup controllers for a specific controller. If the local controller of the access point fails, it chooses an available controller from the backup controller list in this order:
    • •o primary
    • •o secondary
    • •o tertiary
    • •o primary backup
    • •o secondary backup
  • The access point maintains a list of backup controllers and periodically sends primary discovery requests to each entry on the list. You can now configure a primary discovery request timer in order to specify the amount of time that a controller has to respond to the discovery request of the access point before the access point assumes that the controller cannot be joined and waits for a discovery response from the next controller in the list.

Hope this will help you.

Hi Abishek, thank you.  The AP mode will still have to be in Flex Mode in order to failover to the remote WLC in the DC.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You only need to use FlexConnect groups if your doing 802.1x radius authentication. What you need to setup is the high availability you set on the AP's

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk722/tk809/technologies_configuration_example09186a008064a294.shtml

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card