Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

How to connect 2 1120 Access Points

I am trying to connect 2 1120 access points to a wireless router to extend a DSL network. Is this even possibe? Enclosed a basic Visio of what I am trying to accomplish.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Re: How to connect 2 1120 Access Points

So the Root and the Non-Root is not possible..

A repeater access point is not connected to the wired LAN; it is placed  within radio range of an access point connected to the wired LAN to  extend the range of your infrastructure or to overcome an obstacle that  blocks radio communication. You can configure either the 2.4-GHz radio  or the 5-GHz radio as a repeater. In access points with two radios, only  one radio can be a repeater; the other radio must be configured as a  root radio.

The repeater forwards traffic between wireless users and the wired LAN  by sending packets to either another repeater or to an access point  connected to the wired LAN. The data is sent through the route that  provides the best performance for the client. When you configure an  access point as a repeater, the access point's Ethernet port does not  forward traffic.

Root - Standalone Access Point.

scanner— Causes the AP/bridge to operate as as scanner only and does           not accept associations from client devices. As a scanner, the AP/bridge           collects radio data and sends it to the WDS server on your network. The scanner         ...

Workgroup Bridge (WGB) -  is a small  stand-alone unit that can provide a wireless infrastructure connection  for Ethernet-enabled devices. Devices that do not have a wireless client  adapter in order to connect to the wireless network can be connect...

So.. you can try the ROOT on one side and Repeater on the other.. When we use the repeater desing the throughput is degraded much.. so the best option is, if you have a 2 X 1242 AP then you can configure them as Root and Non-Root and use them with no issues. Even (1310 and 1410 Bridges has the same capability).

let me know how this works out for you!!

Have a great day!!

Regards
Surendra

3 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

1120 is EOL/EOS.. I dont think Bridge mode such as ROOT and NON-Root is capable on 1100 series APs.. 1100 series APs are dedicated APs. go under the AP interface mode and see if we see ROOT Bridge or NON-Root Bridge option available or not to confirm..

en

config t

int dot11 0

station-role ?

When we hit the question mark followed by enter.. we should see the diferent modes available..

i request you to let me know how this works out for you!!

Regards
Surendra

options that are available:

repeater

root

scanner

work-group bridge.

Cisco Employee

So the Root and the Non-Root is not possible..

A repeater access point is not connected to the wired LAN; it is placed  within radio range of an access point connected to the wired LAN to  extend the range of your infrastructure or to overcome an obstacle that  blocks radio communication. You can configure either the 2.4-GHz radio  or the 5-GHz radio as a repeater. In access points with two radios, only  one radio can be a repeater; the other radio must be configured as a  root radio.

The repeater forwards traffic between wireless users and the wired LAN  by sending packets to either another repeater or to an access point  connected to the wired LAN. The data is sent through the route that  provides the best performance for the client. When you configure an  access point as a repeater, the access point's Ethernet port does not  forward traffic.

Root - Standalone Access Point.

scanner— Causes the AP/bridge to operate as as scanner only and does           not accept associations from client devices. As a scanner, the AP/bridge           collects radio data and sends it to the WDS server on your network. The scanner         ...

Workgroup Bridge (WGB) -  is a small  stand-alone unit that can provide a wireless infrastructure connection  for Ethernet-enabled devices. Devices that do not have a wireless client  adapter in order to connect to the wireless network can be connect...

So.. you can try the ROOT on one side and Repeater on the other.. When we use the repeater desing the throughput is degraded much.. so the best option is, if you have a 2 X 1242 AP then you can configure them as Root and Non-Root and use them with no issues. Even (1310 and 1410 Bridges has the same capability).

let me know how this works out for you!!

Have a great day!!

Regards
Surendra

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content