cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to deal with channel overlapping - channel interferences

netspikeslabs
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys can you please let me know if there is a way to remove the channel overlapping in a dense envrionment

Heat map is attached

Thanks

13 Replies 13

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disable 802.11b data rates of 1, 2,  5.5 and 11 Mbps.  

Make 18 Mbps as Mandatory and from 12 Mbps and up as Supported.

Hi Leo, thanks for your reply 

Please find the attached 802.11a/n and 802.11b/g data rate. 

Could you please let me know the reason as well. Much appreciated thanks

Hi Leo, The heat map which I sent is showing 802.11a/n clients. We do have some 802.11b clients so can't disable 11mbps. Is there anyother way to tweak WLC to remove channel over lapping

As long as those same clients can support 802.11g then they are fine.

Hi Leo thanks so if I disable 11mbps how it would help in channel assignment under 802.11a/n as I have issues with few channel repetitions like channel 40 and 44

You are disabling data rates and not channels.  

When you disable low-speed data rates, you decreases the distance or wireless coverage per AP.  

Disabling data rates are of course one way but also getting access points out of the hallways. Low power, proper channel. 

Look at an AP in the hallway vs the room. You tell me .. :)

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Hi Guys, I have disabled 11Mbps and still the channel assignment is same. Can you please attached. Same problem with another site

Country is indonesia and channels available are

149, 153, 157, 161

Confused. 

Is your DCA properly configured?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Please find attached

Can you remove (uncheck) avoid foriegn ap interference

Also move DCS to high and see if this helps 

Is there a reason for only using UNII-3 channels?  You mentioned earlier repitition of UNII-1 channels 40 and 44, however your DCA is only configured for UNII-3.  Do you have two unique RF groups you are talking about?

Given your description of a "dense" environment, you should enable your UNII-1, and optionally DFS channels for UNII-2 and UNII-2 extended.  Even with UNII-1's lower EIRP requirements, the density will design will have APs at low enough powers to level the playing field.

Also, how many APs are we talking in this RF group and what version of code are you running?  If you post a "show run-config", we could take a quick look at what you have going on.

Q:  Could you please let me know the reason as well.

A:  Everyone who's got an enterprise-grade wireless working knows that the inherit problem with 802.11b wireless is the limited amount of non-overlapping channels, THREE (3).   Now this is fine when you are at home because all you can do at home is to lower the power of your radio or change the channels (or both).  

Now this is not possible when you deploy in a dense wireless environment because you cannot control the channels operated by your neighbors.  

So the easiest method is to disable some of the low-speed channels:  The lower the speed, the LONGER the distance covered by the radio.  So when you lower the data rates, the transmission of your 802.11b signals travels at a shorter distance but still retaining the channel and transmission power.  You also maintain the ability for the WLC to change the channels and power automatically.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: