Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

How to get a new Access Point to be seen by the controller

Hello All,

I have a Cisco Series 4400 WLAN controller and I'm trying to connect a lightweight AP to the controller.  I have already assigned the switch port to use my wi-fi VLAN, and have connected the AP to the switch.  After a few minutes, the light on the AP goes from green to light blue (indicating it's serving clients).  Looks encouraging so far.

Here is where I am stuck...

When I log into he wi-fi controller to look for the Ethernet mac address of the new AP, I do not see its Mac Address.  I want to be able to rename the AP to reflect where it will be used,  but need to select the AP via its Ethernet mac address before I can make any edits like changing its name etc.

I've gone through the "monitoring" menu, selected "All" and still do not see it in their via its MAC address.  I also will select the "wireless menu" which lists all the AP's on my network, listing in order from on the longest running, to just powered on.

Is there something I'm missing like a "re-scan" that scan's all devices?

The  AP is an AP 1131 AG                  

Thanks,

Jon

Everyone's tags (2)
5 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Looks like the ap never joined... can you post the output from the ap console so we can see what is happening.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks for reply Scott.  I am not sure how to do that.  I am a novice with Cisco APs.  I was using some documentation the engineer that used to work for me wrote up regarding adding APs to the WLAN controller.  He made it sound like all I had to do was prepare the switch port to use the Wi-Fi VLan, and then plug in the AP.  So, I did set the port to use the appropriate VLan. 

If you think stepping me though generating the output file you need from the AP is straight forward, then I'll gladly give it a try.

I really appreciate your assistance Scott.

Jon

Hall of Fame Super Silver

To make it easy, put the ap in the same subnet as the wlc.  Make sure there is dhcp on that subnet.  The ap will get an ip address and then will or should be able to join the wlc.  If you console into the access point, can you attach the file so we can see the output.  Make sure you show the ap from when you power up the access point.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Can you explain to me how best to console into the AP?  I have a cross over cable, and putty.  How would I connect to console into it?

Thanks,

Jon

Re: How to get a new Access Point to be seen by the controller

For console connetion you need console cable i attached image of it so you know which cable we are talking about. Just connet eithernet side to the connector i think on 1131 console port is on the right if you seeing it form back. Plug other side of cable to a laptop on serial connetor and use windows hyper terminal to access your access point. Once you connected via console you should be able to see whats going on on the console. Here is a quick link for setting up console connection with correct settings.

http://ciscogeek.org/setup-windows-hyper-terminal-to-access-routerfirewall-console/

Hope this helps you

Views
Helpful
Replies