cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to limit bandwidth for guest per connection/user on 2504 WLC?

Nova Networks
Level 1
Level 1

We have 2504 Controller with 24 AP's registered in a hotel and we would like to limit bandwidth per connection or per user.

I went to QOS Profiles > Bronze >

I do not see Per user Bandwidth Contracts(K)* instead I see WLAN QOS Parameters with below options.

Capture_QOS.PNG

10 Replies 10

azore2007
Level 1
Level 1

You should have bought meraki instead, they have that support.

Otherwise you need a firewall to do per IP traffic shaping. Just doing ordinary QoS won't help you.

Cisco needs to grab Meraki client limitations asap. Or you can buy that 5760? IOS controller built into the 3850 switch.

If I remember correctly, that one can shape traffic basednon clients

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Hi,

Has anyone solved this? I have a 2504 running 7.5.102.0 and I do not see the ability to limit a QOS profile to a data rate. The config guide says you can but in QOS profiles but all I see there is the same view as the original post that started the thread. also, if I go to a WLAN and look at the QOS tab there is nothing there to allow you to rate-limit.

Thanks,

Jim

Hi,

As stated in the document below, code version 8.0 introduced some AVC enhancements, among others, per client rate limiting on WLAN.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn80.html#pgfId-1187087

Can anyone confirm that this works on 2504 too?

Thank you,

Sebastian

Hi,

In the meanwhile I upgraded a 2504 WLC to code 8.0.110. For those who are interested, there is still no "Per-user Bandwidth Contracts" like on the 5508.

Regarding the AVC profiles, there is a new feature which was not included in the previous software versions. Rate limiting for applications is possible now. Before code 8.0 there were only two action types: drop or mark.

I hope this helps others too,

Sebastian

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The 2504 doesn't support bandwidth contracts like the 5508's and WiSM's.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hello

Our WLC model 5508, but there is confusion on difference between Override Per-User Bandwidth Contracts (kbps) vs Override Per-SSID Bandwidth Contracts (kbps)

Our requirement-

1. On Guest SSID  - Each user / session should not exceed bandwidth more than 758kbps upstream/downstream
  2. Only Guest users cannot login to multiple device with single userID - applicable only to Guest SSID other SSID should not get impacted.

hope to get some response

cheers

ST

mmangat
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Go the Bronze QoS profile on your  controller and enter in values similar to this: note this would throttle  the average data rate to 250k

Per-User Bandwidth Contracts

- Average Data Rate: 250kbps

- Burst Data Rate: 500kbps

- Average Real-Time Rate: 250kbps

- Burst Real-Time Rate: 500kbps

Hope this helps

On our 2504, we currently have software version 7.2.115.2. Our screens look like those of Nova Support above.

It is our understanding that the features in version 7.4 will give us the options you mention in the Bronze QoS profile. We are covered by SmartNet, and will be performing this update in the next few weeks.

Thanks all for the input.

Hi there,

just to confirm, when this configuration is implemented, where is the limitation enforced: on the WLC or on the AP?

Thanks in advance

Gustavo

Alexey Belousov
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

On 2504 cou can only configure QoS Roles for Guest Users and assign this Role to configured Users.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card