Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Community Member

How to position an AP 3502e in a WCS map? azimuth and elevation parameter

I worked in an University, and we have a deployment of 300 AP, but recently we bought 15 AP 3502e model, with this antennas:

AIR-ANT2460NP-R

Azimuth 3dB Beamwidth

80 degrees

Elevations 3dB Beamwidth

75 degrees

AIR-ANT5160NP-R

Azimuth 3dB Beamwidth

65 degrees

Elevations 3dB Beamwidth

65 degrees

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps7183/ps469/product_data_sheet09186a008008883b.html

My question is, when i try to position this new APs on a certain map, what should i put on the Azimuth and Elevation degrees parameter?

The degrees that comes in the product data sheet above, or it depends on how the antennas are installed?.

AgregarAPexterno.png

This is a picture of an example how the antennas are installed.

19052011(005).jpg

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to position an AP 3502e in a WCS map? azimuth and elevat

Hi Ernesto,

Your panel antennas are directional..  I have the same combination.

The values provided are for the width of the beam as it leaves the panel.

When setting the AP on the map, the Azmuth suggests the direction the center of the beam is pointing..  So on the graphic of your building, you parked one set of panels on one corner and then move the arrow about until it points away from the building in the direction of beam center.

The Elevation most likely is 90 deg, that is pointing horizontally away from the building.   You might tilt the panel a bit and then adjust the elevation accordingly.

Hi Ernesto:

Azimuth: what horizontal direction the AP radiates. For omnidirectional it is broadcasting in all directions (360 degrees) so no worries about mentioning the direction. For your specific case, you need to specify azimuth because you use directional antenna (sorry could not see your images yesterday).

For elevation, you have to specify it in your case. It should be 90 degrees if the antenna is radiating a signal that is parallel to the ground.

For example, if you have an antenna in a room in its up corner that radiates toward the center of the room then you could use elevation to be down 30 degrees (or something similar).

Hope this is helpful.

Amjad

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"
14 REPLIES

If u have all omni directional antennas perpendicular to ground then leave all to default.

You need to change if for some reason you have to change the antenna direction.

When using omnidirectional antennas azimuth can be ignored. If you are using directional antennas here the importance comes to put azimuth angle on the map.

HTH

Amjad

Community Member

Hi Amjad,

thanks for the answer, if I get your point, then I just put the correct azimuth angle and ignore the elevation parameter, only if I'm using directional antennas right?

Thank you for that,

I still dont get the elevation angle then...

Hi Ernesto,

Your panel antennas are directional..  I have the same combination.

The values provided are for the width of the beam as it leaves the panel.

When setting the AP on the map, the Azmuth suggests the direction the center of the beam is pointing..  So on the graphic of your building, you parked one set of panels on one corner and then move the arrow about until it points away from the building in the direction of beam center.

The Elevation most likely is 90 deg, that is pointing horizontally away from the building.   You might tilt the panel a bit and then adjust the elevation accordingly.

Community Member

Thank you David, thiw is what i need to know!

Hi Ernesto:

Azimuth: what horizontal direction the AP radiates. For omnidirectional it is broadcasting in all directions (360 degrees) so no worries about mentioning the direction. For your specific case, you need to specify azimuth because you use directional antenna (sorry could not see your images yesterday).

For elevation, you have to specify it in your case. It should be 90 degrees if the antenna is radiating a signal that is parallel to the ground.

For example, if you have an antenna in a room in its up corner that radiates toward the center of the room then you could use elevation to be down 30 degrees (or something similar).

Hope this is helpful.

Amjad

Community Member

Now I get it, thanks a lot Amjad!

Oh, and the whole routine is just to seed the subroutine that creates the Heat-Maps.  The literal function of the system should not be bothered in any case.

Community Member

How to position an AP 3502e in a WCS map? azimuth and elevation

Elevation must be set to 0.  I guess the radiation pattern pointing upward as 0 causes some misunderstanding.

Community Member

Hello!

I'd like to clarify one question.

I have 3600 series AP with internal omnidirectional antenna.

APs are mounted to a ceiling parallel to the ground, in such a way, that logo Cisco is pointing straight to the ground.

According to previous comments in such situation(correct me, if I am wrong):

• Azimuth is no matter
  • Elevation is down 0 degree

But from the Prime 1.3 it seems to me, that in my case elevation should be down 90

image is attached

Hall of Fame Super Silver

Here is a good answer

Note

If you have a ceiling-mounted AP with an integrated omni-directional antenna, the antenna orientation does not really need to be set in NCS. However, if you mount that same AP on the wall, you will have to set the antenna orientation to 90 degrees.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/ncs/1.0/configuration/guide/maps.html#wp1289129

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Community Member

How to position an AP 3502e in a WCS map? azimuth and elevation

Scott, thank you for the answer!

What about up or down elevation option?

For example, LAP has Cisco logo pointed to the ceiling, do we need to set up 0 degree in the elevation?

It seems to me, that NCS picture of the elevation is a little bit confusing.

It would still be set at 0. It is confusing but you either set it to 0 or 90. Now if you have a custom angle, I guess then you would set it to reflect that.

-Scott
Community Member

Is there any matter elevation 0 UP or 0 DOWN?

according to the radiation pattern, there should be some difference

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps7183/ps469/product_data_sheet09186a008008883b.html

Put it this way. The default is the ceiling mount install with the Cisco label pointing down to the floor. That would be set as default 0 on WCS/NCS/PI. Makes sense.

-Scott
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content