Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

How to REMOVE primary-base/secondary-base from APs en masse

So I've learned how to ADD the primary-base and secondary-base controller name and IP address to APs via GUI, command line, and Cisco Prime 1.3.

No-where have I found a method to REMOVE these, once added, save one at a time via the GUI.

Even entering 0.0.0.0 for the IP address doesn't work: Prime won't let me do so (complains that addresses need to be unique), and the WLC CLI requires a controller name before the AP name.

Has anyone run into a workaround that doesn't involve a long night and a sore mouse-clicking finger?

5 REPLIES
Bronze

I'm not sure why you'd want

I'm not sure why you'd want to do this, but the only way to do this that I'm aware of is to clear all config from an AP. If you configure an AP in Prime Infrastructure there is a button down at the bottom that says clear all config and your AP will reset and it will reset to defaults. This is only for one at a time, there is no way that I know of to do it to multiple APs at once.

Thanks Martin. That's about

Thanks Martin. That's about what I thought. (And I'm glad there's no one-stop-shop for defaulting my APs!)

Just for some background on why the heck I'd want to do this...

I would want to do this because I am migrating APs from WLCs with one codebase (7.6.100.0) to WLCs with another codebase (7.4.121.21, recommended by TAC but so was 7.6.100.0), and would like to make it a little less likely for the APs to find their 7.6 controllers after downloading the 7.4 code.

There's also the matter of licensing limits on each WLC, etc. While yes, given time and enough attempts, the APs will settle into a WLC with sufficient licenses, will go to their primary controller and settle into the proper codebase (with the help of manual reboots sometimes), etc, it would be nice to be able to reduce the time and number of attempts here.

In other words, there are plenty of reasons to want to do it; can't think of an argument against it offhand.

I guess for now we'll just set/clear it as we see 'em.

Thanks!

Glad I found this post.My

Glad I found this post.

My reasont for mass deletion of these entries is the migration to a HA cluster.

The primary-base entry can be overwritten, but the secondary-base has to go !

Cheers

Albert

Here are a two suggestions:1.

Here are a two suggestions:

1.  If you use Cisco Prime Infrastructure (or WCS) to manage your WLC, you can create a Lightweight AP Configuration Template to specify the Primary Controller Name and IP Address, and to specify a blank value (choose the first blank option in the drop down list) and 0.0.0.0 for the Secondary and Tertiary Controllers.  Then you can apply that template to the AP's and it should remove (blank out) the values in those fields.

2.  From the WLC CLI, you can run the following commands to blank out the fields:

config ap secondary-base ' ' APHOSTNAME 0.0.0.0

config ap tertiary-base '  ' APHOSTNAME 0.0.0.0

Note that between the quotes there are spaces.  The secondary-base command has one space, the tertiary-base command has two spaces (the names have to be unique).  While this does not completely blank out the field, the spaces do not resolve to a valid WLC hostname so it has the same effect and the AP ignores the spaces.

Both of these suggestions worked in our environment.

Hope this helps.

Hall of Fame Super Silver

I've done the same thing....

I've done the same thing.... I just wished you can actually delete it.  Some customers have went into the AP in the GUI one by one, because the space bugged them:)  Maybe is something I need to request.

Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content