Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

How to set up the new 7.3 High Availability (HA) feature?

Hi there,

there is the new HA feature in controller release 7.3.

My question is, how to initially set up this feature on a running environment. My problem is the understanding what IPs to set.

As I understand:

Controller1

Interfaces:

Mgmt IP 172.16.1.10

Redundancy Mgmt IP 172.16.1.12

Redundancy:

Redundancy Mgmt Ip: 172.16.1.12

Peer Redundancy Mgmt Ip: 172.16.1.13

Primary

Controller2

Interfaces:

Mgmt Ip 172.16.1.11

Redundancy Mgmt IP 172.16.1.13

Redundancy:

Redundancy Mgmt Ip: 172.16.1.13

Peer Redundancy Mgmt Ip: 172.16.1.12

Secondary

This set up doesnt work... Or is it more like hsrp with the same virtual IP ???

Thanks for help.

Regards,

CCNP R&S       

CCNP R&S
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

5 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Well there isn't really a guide guide out there yet... but from the ordering guide, it looks like the HA WLC is a separate part#.  Are you trying to connect two existing 5508's, maybe that's the problem, but I don't know.

AIR-CT5508-HA-K9

Cisco 5508 Series Wireless Controller for High Availability

CON-SNT-CT5508HA

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I have seen that there is an HA ordering option, but in "Prequisites and Limitations for Redundancy" is no requirement for a HA version WLC. I think this will be an ordering option, saving money for licenses, because you only need the Hardware for the failover (see also Q&A High Availability).

Also, you are able to select the redundancy option (Primary/Secondary) on the WLC in the redundancy global menu.

A short "Basic HA Config" Guide with some pictures would be nice.

I also found somthing in the new Prime Infrastructure 1.2

• You must configure the following parameters before you enable the Redundancy Mode for the primary controller:
  • Redundancy-Management IP—The IP address of the local physical management interface, which you had configured in the redundancy-management interface details page is displayed. You can also modify the IP address.
  • Peer Redundancy-Management IP—Enter the IP address of the peer redundancy management interface.
  • Redundant Unit—Choose Primary.
  • Mobility MAC Address—Enter the virtual MAC address for the Redundancy pair. Ensure that the mobility MAC address that you enter is the same for both primary and secondary controllers.

• You must configure the following parameters before you enable the Redundancy Mode for the secondary controller:
  • Redundancy-Management IP—Enter the IP address of the local physical management interface. This IP address must be the same as the IP address of the peer redundancy management interface of the primary controller.
  • Peer Redundancy-Management IP—Enter the IP address of the peer physical management interface. This IP address must be the same as the IP address of the local physical management interface of the primary controller.
  • Redundant Unit—Choose Secondary.
  • Mobility MAC Address—Enter the virtual MAC address of the Redundancy pair. Ensure that the mobility MAC address that you enter is the same for both primary and secondary controllers.

CCNP R&S

CCNP R&S

Re: How to set up the new 7.3 High Availability (HA) feature?

Until a guide comes out, no one would be able to tell you how I set this up unless of course you open a TAC case. The 7.3 guide doesn't even have the port as being HA. I haven't had a chance to play with this in the lab and probably will not until something is posted on how to set this up.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

Re: How to set up the new 7.3 High Availability (HA) feature?

Good post. This is one thing that one must know:

If you want to convert any existing WLC as a Standby WLC, do so using theconfig redundancy unit secondary command in the CLI. This CLI will only work if the WLC which is intended to work as Standby has some number of permanent license count which varies as per platform. That is, for 5500 it is 50 AP License, for WiSM-2 it is 100 AP License, and for 7500/8500 it is 300 AP License count.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
Views
Helpful
Replies