Replies

how to shutdown WLC 4400 redundancy

q-le
Level 2
Level 2

Hi All,

we have 4 x WLCs 4400 in two 6500 core.

For any changes we made we have to do in 4 WLC ie in 4 places and

we are thinking of shutdown 2 x WLCs so we are using only 2 WLC at at times.

Not sure how about do this.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

LE.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Sorry.  I thought you were talking about 5508.

Ok, WiSMs?  Run the follwing command:

no power enable module 9.

View solution in original post

Shut the interface and port-channel down that connects the WiSM to the 6500.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

How do you monitor your wireless environment ? Do you have WCS/Prime to manage these controllers ?

As long as total AP count you have can be managed by two 4400, then there should not be a problem.

Is it worth reducing the number of WLCs, because of configuration has to replicate each of them ? I would get Prime & then manage all of the controller through that (config changes, monitoring, etc)

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Hi Rasika,

What Cisco Prime flavour you recommend? Can you provide a link, please?

Florin,

I would use a version that supports your WLC code. The only version I would stay away from is NCS 1.2. Prime Infrastructure 2.0 is the latest release but your 4400's has to be running v7.0 at least.

As far as removing two WLC because changes in configurations has to be done on all four... To me, I just don't see how this is an issue. If I had 10+ wlc's then I would probably hate it. How often are you making changes to want to remove 2 wlc's? If you learn the commands on the CLI, it's easy to cut and paste into each telnet/ssh session.

If you have enough licenses on 2 to support all AP's like the other stated, then maybe use the other two as guest anchors if you don't have any and if you have a separate guest ssid.

-Scott

Hi Scott,

we do not have any management software for these WLCs.

is there any way to find out the average number of people per month that logon onto a Guest Wifi SSID?

Thanks

LE.

There is not.  You would need WCS/NCS or Prime.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

is there any way to find out the average number of people per month that logon onto a Guest Wifi SSID?

You'll need something like WCS/NCS or Prime Infrastructure.

Otherwise, if you have staff with knowledge skills, you can poll the WLC for the details you want using SNMP and PERL scripting.

Hey Florin,

I've got WCS version 7.0.230.0 and I'm managing WiSM1s (7.0.235.1), 5508 (7.5.102.0) and WiSM2s (7.5.102.0).

This is a known "bug" but no one has bothered fixing in PI (I was told).

I have no PI to verify but if your PI is, say 1.2, and you upgrade the firmware of your WiSM2/5508 to 7.5, it'll still be there.

devils_advocate
Level 7
Level 7

Hi

Are you just using 4 for redundancy purposes?

Do you have enough AP licences to enable you to shut down two of them?

I  would look to shut them off in a maintenence Window because any Access  Points which are associated to the ones you are shutting down will have  to reassociate with another controller, which will cause some downtime.

Personally,  unless you are 24/7, I would just shut two of them off in non office  times and allow any aps to reassociate with the remaining live  controllers.

May be worth seeing if Cisco will buy the  spare 2 4400's back from you and look into 2x 5508's and High  availability as this will provide resilience and not just redundancy  which is what you have now.

Hi Devils_advocate,

Yes, they are for redundancy purpose and we have enough AP licences to run only 2.

We make changes several times/week and sickof make changes in 4 places and we are in a process of getting the

new WLC5500 in a few months.

Please advise how to shutdown 2 x WLC.

Thanks

Le

Please advise how to shutdown 2 x WLC.

Go to the back, there is a power switch above the power cable.  Flip the switch.  Done.

Hi LeoLaohoo,

They are Wism-slot9-1 , Wism-slot9-2 etc in the 6509 Core switches so I do not think there are a power switch but

I will check it out.

Le

Sorry.  I thought you were talking about 5508.

Ok, WiSMs?  Run the follwing command:

no power enable module 9.

We have WLC1 & WLC2 in core 1 and WLC3 & WLC4 in core 2.

what command or can we shutdown WLC1 in core 1 and shutdown WLC3 in core 2? to keep a load balance

instead of shutdown all WLCs in either core 1 or core 2

Le.

Shut the interface and port-channel down that connects the WiSM to the 6500.

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card