Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

How to start troubleshooting wireless users

I know this is a vauge question, but what are some of the things in the WLC GUI that I would start looking at in the event of users complaining that they "can't connect to the SSID"?

Assuming that the password, hardware, end-user, etc is correct.

I'm new to the WLC, so I just wanted to kind of get an idea on what are some of the normal steps to follow when attempting to troubleshoot why a user can't connect or what's causing the non-connection issue.

Thanks         

Everyone's tags (4)
6 REPLIES

Re: How to start troubleshooting wireless users

You would look at the message log.

But better would be to do a debug client < client Mac address > from the CLI.

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Thank you, that is defiently helpful.

After talking to some people, I have come to the conclusion that if a user cannot establish a connection to a SSID - there is really no troubleshooting options available (aside from debugging the client).  Would this be a true statement?

Depends on what isues you are having.  you could also sniff the air with something like Omnipeek or other program.  But debugging on the WLC is definetly easier.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Ken,

One of the easy first steps you can do is look at the client in the WLC GUI and see what state it is in. Click on CLIENTS and then click on the client MAC that is having problems. Then look on the left hand side for Policy Manager State.

This is the 'state' the client is in. Most times you will see the following:

START -- Meaning the client is starting the process to get on the network

802.1x_REQ - Means the client is failing authentication

DHCP_REQ - Means the client is having a IP issue

RUN - Means lift is good

I would start there ..

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________

Thank you both for your time.  This is exactly the path I was looking to get to.

I attached the different "states" a client might show and the "flow"..

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content