Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

how to tell which lightweight access point is offline?

I may be missing something really obvious here, but is there a coherent way to tell which access point has dissociated from a Cisco controller? For example - i have a controller here with many hundreds of access points being installed. If i have say 500 access points associated and i unplug a random one, the "all APs" in the controller summary will simply drop to 499 total, not 500 total, 499 up and 1 down as i would have expected - it's therefore a bit of a nightmare to trace a missing access point when the number suddenly drops below what i am expecting based on the number i know are physically installed.  

Hope that makes sense!!! Appreciate any guidance you guys may have!

• Getting Started with Wireless
3 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Several ways of doing this:

Several ways of doing this:  

1.  If you have a network monitoring tools like WCS/NCS/PI, then it is Cisco's preferred method.  You can enable WCS/NCS/PI to email alerts (personally, I wouldn't recommend it). 

2.  WCS/NCS/PI uses SNMP to poll the different WLC in your network.  You can craft your own to generate your own system (what we are doing now).

Thanks for the response Leo -

Thanks for the response Leo - eventually these controllers will have PI for management, but during this installation phase there is no provision for this. Therefore, i need a method that doesn't involve the network management element!

Any other suggestions folks?

Hall of Fame Super Gold

You can regularly poll the

You can regularly poll the WLC using SNMP.  

Like I've said before, this is what we've done.  Two of my colleagues have managed to duplicate WCS' function just by doing SNMP.  They have combined this with some creating PERL scripting and have developed into something you'd-wish WCS could do.

Views
Helpful
Replies