Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

HREAP Mode and Monitor

Hello,

I am wondering if I configure an AP with HREAP, will it still do the moniroting also? (The same fonctionnality as Monitor mode)

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: HREAP Mode and Monitor

yes, the HREAP AP will still spend sometime off channel to scan for rogues, as it does in local mode. It's just not as efficient for finding rogues as a monitor, since e monitor AP does not serve clients, and only scans.

HTH,

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered
5 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

You only can choose one mode, so either h-reap or monitor.

FYI

Q. Do we still have the same WAN restraints on monitor mode APs as we do with regular APs and H-REAP APs? That is, do we require a 100ms or better RTD between the controller and a monitor mode AP?

A. No, monitor mode AP does not have the 100 ms restriction because there is no client association, which is the reason for the restriction. The 100 ms latency limitation was created out of varied, and often stringent, client authorization requirements, which is why both local mode and H-REAP APs have identical latency limitations. Obviously, monitor mode APs do not have the same client limitations.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Scott, thanks for your reply.

I do know that I can choose only one mode at a time! I may need ro rephrase my question. I would like to know if I choose h-reap, will AP be able to provide "monitor" functionnalities (ex. detecting the rogue APs) as well or not?

Thanks,

Mehdi

yes, the HREAP AP will still spend sometime off channel to scan for rogues, as it does in local mode. It's just not as efficient for finding rogues as a monitor, since e monitor AP does not serve clients, and only scans.

HTH,

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Thanks guys for your helpful answers.

Cheers.

Mehdl,

Here is a great power point on the subject from Cisco.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/59813206/11/Listening-for-Rogues

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content