Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hreap switching query

Hi all,

Design guide 4.1 mentions under hreap for branch ,  we could have  local switching for corperate clients and  central swtiching for Guests.

Does not mention about any limitations of the number of vlans that we could centrally switch wuth this arrangement.

Is there are a upper limit on the number of central switched vlans under hreap mode?

Kindly let me know.

Thanks,

J

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Hreap switching query

Hi Janesh,

The H-REAP guide has been updated recently, but I don't think it lists the answer to your exact question.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10315/products_tech_note09186a0080736123.shtml

APs can support up to 16 WLANs, and as far as I am aware, you can have any combination of central or local switching. So you could have 16 centrally switched WLANs (which wouldn't make much sense, you could use local mode) or you could have 16 locally switched WLANs, or any combination that is less than or equal to 16 WLANs total.

-Pat

2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Hreap switching query

Hi Janesh,

The H-REAP guide has been updated recently, but I don't think it lists the answer to your exact question.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10315/products_tech_note09186a0080736123.shtml

APs can support up to 16 WLANs, and as far as I am aware, you can have any combination of central or local switching. So you could have 16 centrally switched WLANs (which wouldn't make much sense, you could use local mode) or you could have 16 locally switched WLANs, or any combination that is less than or equal to 16 WLANs total.

-Pat

Hreap switching query

Hi Pat,

Thanks a lot for your answer and for the link to the latest H-REAP guide.

basically, we have 4  vlans at each site. plan is to central switch 3 vlans which includes guest and do local  swtiching for the reamining vlan.As the central switched vlans will have very less traffic so it will not consume lot of BW on the wan link.

based on your reply, as the number of vlans are less than the upper limit, we should be fine.

Just to be on the safe side we will lab this up as well.

sincerely,

Janesh

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content