Views
Helpful
Replies

I need Bandwidth, Filtering & Accounting work with Aironet 1310

s.abubasheer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Mates,

Please I need an affordable Cisco hardware or software (for SMB) to control about 200 clients in my wlan (hotsopt internet caffe)

all work with two Aironet 1310 .

I'm not concerned about security in the first palce, but Bandwidth, Filtering & Accounting.

MY Regards

Saher

7 Replies 7

s.abubasheer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

is it the right forum for my question ? please !

Regards

Saher

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Just to be clear: You want to give wireless access to 200 clients over two APs *?at the same time?*

That would be a Very Bad Thing, and almost certainly not possible.

Generally speaking, with "normal" traffic (no such animal exists), you can expect to run 20 - 30 clients tops per AP.

It is not likely that you can impose your restrictions at the AP level. More likely, you'd want to do it at the switch, possibly at the router.

The problem is that the AP acts as a hub: shared bandwidth, and collision avoidence. Basically it boils down to every client getting a timeslot to communicate. When you have too many clients on a single AP, the clients are not talked to often enough, and you get association drops. Before association drops, you get really poor performance that progresses to request timeouts.

The other issue is the uncontrolled mix of clients that you're likely to see. If one client is using 802.11b (11 meg), the net effect is an additional drop in available bandwidth.

The bottom line is that it's not a plan that's likely to succeed.

You may want to investigate 802.11a (5GHz). It has more non-overlapping channels (802.11g has three). To get that many poeple in a confined space and maintain acceptable connections and performance, the extra bandwidth will help a lot.

Good Luck

Scott

Hi Scott,

Thank you for this helpfull reply.

First I have now about 50 clients working with 2 AP, and most of the time there are 22 to 27 online,I have a good performance and never had association drops, so in the near future I expect to have up to 200 clients (100 or 130 online) when I add another 2 AP.

Please can you explain more for me about next point:

you wrote (The other issue is the uncontrolled mix of clients that you're likely to see. If one client is using 802.11b (11 meg), the net effect is an additional drop in available bandwidth.)

how can be uncontrolled mix of clients my Aironet 1310 data rate setting is Best Throughput,this setting blocks association from 802.11b client devices.

I also agree with your last advice and I'm planing to have the new cisco Aironet 1500 for mesh wlan.

now can you give me answer for my question please what Cisco hardware or software (for SMB) to control about about 100 client using 4 AP?

Best Regards

Saher

I believe you'd be looking for Cisco Broad Band Service Manager (BBSM)

Here's a link to the online User Guide ... give it a look and see if it's offereing the features you desire.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/netmgtsw/ps533/products_user_guide_chapter09186a008019228c.html

Good Luck

Scott

Hi Scott,

Thank you again, I think BBSM is designed for colleges and universities it has some features I need and another I don't as an internet caffe, maybe I'll find what I need in some cisco empire devices, I'll keep searching,I also appreciate your future help for reaching my need.

BR

Saher

For Open Source Captive Portal systems, check out "nocat"

and / or Google for "captive portal" (and "nocat" will appear on the list)

Good Luck

Scott

Hi Scott,

Happy New Year for you and all Guys.

Thank you so much you really help me a lot, searching "captive portal" gave me all my need . also I have another question please about BBSM Hotspot does it support Aironet 1300 and what's the price of it ?

BR

Saher

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card