Views
Helpful
Replies

Indoor AP suggestion

Florin Barhala
Level 6
Level 6

Hi guys,

I need to replace 4 AIR-AP1231G with newer AP 802.11n standard available; the other benefit would be that these new AP should be compatible with our recently virtual WLC recently bought.

Based on that I went to Cisco Wireless APs. From there, I got stuck. What should I pick: 1140, 1250?

Is there a wireless ap tool to help me choose what I need.

Thanks,

Florin.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Charlie Moreton
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You might want to look at the 1600 and 2600 product lines.  The 1140 and 1260 have announced EOL and are not orderable any more.

The AIR-CAP1602I and the AIR-CAP2602I have the internal antenna while the AIR-CAP1602E and AIR-CAP2602E have the external antenna.

The 1602I is the least expensive while the 1602E and 2602E come in around the highest of the 4.

Of course, all of this is dependent on your particular needs and site survey, but you may want to begin your research with these models.

Please Rate Helpful posts and mark this question as answered if, in fact, this does answer your question.  Otherwise, feel free to post follow-up questions.

Charles Moreton

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Charlie Moreton
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You might want to look at the 1600 and 2600 product lines.  The 1140 and 1260 have announced EOL and are not orderable any more.

The AIR-CAP1602I and the AIR-CAP2602I have the internal antenna while the AIR-CAP1602E and AIR-CAP2602E have the external antenna.

The 1602I is the least expensive while the 1602E and 2602E come in around the highest of the 4.

Of course, all of this is dependent on your particular needs and site survey, but you may want to begin your research with these models.

Please Rate Helpful posts and mark this question as answered if, in fact, this does answer your question.  Otherwise, feel free to post follow-up questions.

Charles Moreton

Nice answer Charles, thanks!

I would try 1600 series; is there a document/presentation where I can decide if E is worth the price over I.

What production advantages does an externall antenna really brings? I ask from user point of view and less from a marketing/powerpoint perspective?

Most of the time the Internal vs. External debate comes down to aesthetics.

However, depending on the use or location of the AP, the External can easily triumph over the Internal models.

Internal Antenna models create extra heat inside the AP enclosure.  If you are deploying the APs in a location that is not environmentally controlled, then the External Antenna AP is a better option for you.

If you are trying to place wireless coverage in an area that is hard to cover with traditional APs, then the many different Antenna options that exist for the External Antenna APs make this a wise choice.

In a standard office environment with no extenuating radio inhibitors, the Internal Antenna AP is an easy choice.

If the 1231 APs worked well for you, then the Internal Antenna APs should serve you as well.

Again, a site survey would be highly recommended.

This document might help as well:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/apdeploy/Cisco_Aironet.html#wp60352

Charles Moreton

Hi

With external antenna (from a user point of view) you can place the AP within ceilin and place the antenna outside in this manner you can avoid problem like  fading, multipath, absorption. The user experience can be better

About ordering these, what does x mean from: AIR-CAP1602I-x-K9?

Also for SmartNet: CON-SNT-C1602Ix

Does E stand for Europe and A for America?

E is ETSI (European Telecommunications Standards Institute) compliant and can be ordered for Europe.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card