Views
Helpful
Replies

Initial console configuration of 8510 WLC

Ryan S
Level 1
Level 1

Hey everyone,

Just got a new 8510 WLC and I'm trying to do the initial console configuration per the install guide. I cannot for the life of me get console connectivity to the device though. Any suggestions or tricks to try to get a connection?

11 Replies 11

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Try this:  http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/8500/install/guide/ctrl8500/ctrl8500main.html#wp1052986

Thanks for the reply Leo.

I swear I read that document 50 times haha, I must have been missing the part about the terminal program being ANSI or vt-100, I bet that's my issue. I use putty which I think uses xterm by default. I will have to check tomorrow when I'm back at work and see if another emulation type does the trick.

Do you know any particular terminal program that would be compatible with this WLC by default?

Hyperterminal or puTTY will work. 

I am currently using SecureCRT.  

Tried to get consoled in this morning again still with no success. Tried putty and also tried secureCRT with no luck. I'm using all the correct serial settings but I'm just not getting any kind of console output or response at all.

If I plug a monitor into the controller I can see it go through the boot phases. It gets to a screen that says:

Deconpressing Linux...done

Booting the Kernal

After the Booting the Kernal line the curser just flashes and there is no more output on the screen. Not sure if I should be able to see the console output at that point or if something else is going on.

Hi

Did you find any solutions on your question ?

I just got 2 new 8510 Controlllers and has the same problem as you got.

Strangely enough it actually turned out to be the serial to rj45 adapter I was using. After going through a few different ones I had laying around I found one that worked normally and had no issues after that.

I am having the same issue. I have a number for DB9 to RJ45 adaptors but none work. Do you know the type or pinouts of the one that worked for you?

Many thanks 

Pin outs for the serial rj45 can be found in the internet. What I have found to work well is a usb to rj45 ftdi cable.

https://www.amazon.com/Asunflower-Cisco-Router-Console-Cable/dp/B071DXD166
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks for this info. I am pretty sure its down to the DB9 to RJ45 adaptors I have been using as they dont work on my console to USB nor my Opengear console server. I have just got a few of the below so I can make the correct pins outs and hopefully gets console access sorted

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00006IRQA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Many thanks

MIke

All these forum posts talking about the 8510 serial all mention that you need another adapter. But none of them mention which one was bought, or what the cable layout should be for a "modular" one like the one above ...

Does anyone know ?

Thanks

/Thomas

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You need this equipment to connect to the controller console:

ANSI or VT-100 terminal emulator application on a laptop, desktop, or palmtop

Note    Please refer to the latest Release Notes for Cisco 8500 Series Wireless Controller for compatibility by release between the Cisco WCS and controller releases at: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps12722/prod_release_notes_list.html

System Configuration Parameters

Obtain the following initial configuration parameters from your wireless LAN or network administrator:

A system (controller) name.
    An administrative username and password.
    A service port interface IP address configuration protocol (none or DHCP).
    A management interface (DS port or network interface port) IP address.

Note    The service port interface and management interface must be on different subnets.

A management interface netmask address.
    A management interface default router IP address.
    A VLAN identifier if the management interface is assigned to a VLAN, or 0 for an untagged VLAN.
    Distribution system physical port number—1 through 2 for back panel 10 Gigabit Ethernet ports (with SFP+ 10G module).
    IP address of the default DHCP server that will supply IP addresses to clients.
    A virtual gateway IP address (a fictitious, unassigned IP address, such as 1.1.1.1, used by all Cisco wireless LAN controller Layer 3 security and mobility managers).
    A Cisco wireless LAN controller mobility group name, if required.
    An 802.11 network name (SSID) for WLAN 1. This is the default SSID that the access points use when they join with the controller.
    Whether or not to allow static IP addresses from clients.

–    Yes is more convenient, but has lower security (session can be hijacked).

–    No is less convenient, but has higher security and works well for Windows XP devices.

RADIUS server IP address, communications port, and secret (if you are configuring a RADIUS server).
    The country code for this installation. Refer to the Cisco Wireless LAN Controller Configuration Guide for country code information. This guide is available at cisco.com.
    Status of the 802.11a, 802.11b, and 802.11g networks (enabled or disabled).
    Status of radio resource management (RRM) (enabled or disabled).
    An IP address for the Integrated Management Module (IMM), if you are using a static IP address for IMM access. The IMM can use either a shared port with service port or the dedicated IMM Ethernet port.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card