cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

installing additional WAP with 520 wireless controller

rjames976
Level 1
Level 1

I currently have a 520 wireless lan controller and 3 AIR-LAP521G-A-K9 access points.  I've been asked to install an additional AIR-AP1231G-A-K9.  will this work in the existing environment?  Should I have to do anything to this extra access point before plugging it into the network?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

the 1231 you are showing is an IOS AP, so you would need to configure it manually. It can run a lightweight image, but it won't join the WLC 520, as the 520 only supports the 500 series AP.

As the 1231 won't join the WLC seamless roaming probably will not work, if you are doing WPA/WPA2 as it would not get the PMK to fast roam.

If you really need to add more wireless you should get another 500 AP and join it to your WLC instead of adding in that 1231.

Steve

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

the 1231 you are showing is an IOS AP, so you would need to configure it manually. It can run a lightweight image, but it won't join the WLC 520, as the 520 only supports the 500 series AP.

As the 1231 won't join the WLC seamless roaming probably will not work, if you are doing WPA/WPA2 as it would not get the PMK to fast roam.

If you really need to add more wireless you should get another 500 AP and join it to your WLC instead of adding in that 1231.

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

great info. thanks.  When I get an additional AIR-LAP521G-A-K9, do they require configuring beforehand, or will the controller detect and configure it?

only thing it should need to do is get an address in the AP VLAN.

Steve

HTH,
Steve

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card