Views
Helpful
Replies

Integrate WLC & Active Directory

taufeeq taufeeq
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Iam trying to find that how can i configure WLC to authenticate the wireless clietns based in the username and password from Active Directory.

Please suggest.

Regards,

Taufeeq.

5 Replies 5

Ravi Singh
Level 7
Level 7

As I know WLC can only work with a LDAP database but not Microsoft AD.

The below link will provide the config example and also depth  understanding on the requirements, please go through the link atleast  once..

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6366/products_configuration_example09186a0080a03e09.shtml

Chris Illsley
Level 3
Level 3

Yes, LDAP or RADIUS, you can use FreeRADIUS if you don't want to buy a RADIUS server.

Thanks

Chris

Edit:  To correct punctuation.

Hello,

As per your query i can suggest  you the following solution-

WLC will work with LDAP not AD with RADIUS protocol.

Hope this will help you.

Hi Taufeeq,

I am not sure Abishek and Ravi provided correct answers however Mooncat did (in my opinion).

You can configure WLANs to authenticate through various different methods including:

• RADIUS
  • LDAP
  • Local (Based on WLC)

Additionally, you can configure different ways to auth those users. For example I have a couple of networks setup in different ways:

1. 802.1x Security linked to a RADIUS server with the WLC configured as a Radius Client and shared secrets setup etc. This authenticates my AD users through NPS (Network Policy Server) installed on a Windows 2008 server.

2. Web authentication pass through linked to both local (on WLC) and RADIUS. In this setup there are local users I've setup on my WLC who can log in to the guest portal or alternatively any AD user can also log in as I have setup RADIUS as my secondary method of authentication for that WLAN.

3. Web authentication pass through linked to an LDAP server -> I tried this and actually found it tricky to implement for what I wanted it for. I ended up going for the RADIUS installation instead as it was more flexible but it does work as well!

I hope that helps.

Thanks,

Ric

-----------------------------
Please rate helpful / correct posts

Rated Mooncat & Ric's posts.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card