Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
it
Community Member

interoperability of cisco wireless products?

I've been doing a lot of research on various Cisco wireless products and the options are kind of confusing.

I'll start with my deployment; I have two locations both of which have a manufacturing and warehouse environments (no climate control) and regular offices.

Location 1 needs 3 APs on the production floor and 1 in the offices.

Location 2 needs 5 APs on the warehouse floor and 4 for the offices.

I was thinking about using the Cisco 521 APs for both the production floor and offices and the Cisco 526 Wireless Controller for Location 1.  I figure that will give them room for expansion and keep the costs low.

For location 2 I was thinking about the Aironet 1240AG APs for the warehouse floor, Aironet 1140AG APs for the offices and then a Cisco 2112 Wireless Controller to manage all the APs.

Both locations require WPA (or WPA2) encryption and roaming.

My questions are:

Will the 521 APs work with the 2112 controller?  For that matter, what sort of interoperability is there with the APs and controllers?  Can I manage any Cisco AP with any Cisco Controller?

Are there any cheaper APs than the 1140AG that will work with the 2112 controller?

Is the 1240AG a good choice for a non-climate controlled warehouse environment?  The APs are going to be mounted on the ceiling which is roughly 50 feet high and I'm going to be very upset if I deploy these APs and then have one fail during the summer 6 months later because it wasn't made for volatile environments.

The 521 APs are only going to be about 15 feet up so they can be accessed with a ladder so I'm not so worried about them.

Thanks!

1 REPLY
Hall of Fame Super Gold

Re: interoperability of cisco wireless products?

Will the 521 APs work with the 2112 controller?

No.

Are there any cheaper APs than the 1140AG that will work with the 2112 controller?

You could try the 1130.  1140 supports 802.11n while 1130 is a/b/g only.

Is the 1240AG a good choice for a non-climate controlled warehouse environment?

The 1240, like the 1130, supports a/b/g only while the 1250 supports a/b/g/n.  The newer 1260 is controller-based only.  The 1240, 1250 and 1260 use external antennae that's an OPTION.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content