cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is a controller required for roaming?

hometownfc
Level 1
Level 1

We've been using single stand-alone Aironet AP's at our small branch offices with great reliability and success over the last 3 years.  However, we recently acquired an office with only a few clients (10), but it is an old warehouse so it has a lot of square footage so multiple AP's will be needed to cover the area.

If I go with 6 1600 AP's do I have to use a controller (such as 2500) for clients to be able to automatically roam between the AP's as they walk throughout the warehouse with their laptops, or can I just use the stand-alone AP's instead that I'm accustomed to?

Thanks for the help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can use autonomous but the most important thing is the overlapping coverage.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can use autonomous but the most important thing is the overlapping coverage.

Excellent and thanks for the response, around 20% overlap is ideal; correct?  That's the figure I was using when I came up with 6 AP required...

Also, are there any advantages to lightweight vs autonomous in regards to roaming, such as quicker handoff or something similar due to the controller?

Thanks again!

around 20% overlap is ideal; correct?

That's correct.  20% would be ideal.  That's voice-quality recommendation.  If you get your autonomous wireless set up for voice-quality, then you've got it made.

Also, are there any advantages to lightweight vs autonomous in regards to roaming, such as quicker handoff or something similar due to the controller?

Just make sure you update the firmware of your wireless NIC.  This seems to be the greatest angst among people.

Controller will allow clients to roam faster than stand-alone access points, but how critical that speed will be for a laptop roaming in the warehouse is a question. It becomes critical when dealing with time critical applications, such as voice.

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

yes, you can go for autonomous but keep in mind the overlapping during design as told earlier. Please mark the post as answered if your query is resolved.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card