cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Is it possible to change the WLAN ID on the controller?

robert.huang
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Our company has 8 4404-100 Cisco wireless controllers and each WLC has 8 WLANs configured. They are all working fine. However, the WLAN ID sequence is not consistent. I'm wondering if it's possible to change the WLAN ID on these WLCs without (or slightly) impacting the users. I don't want to re-configure all the WLAN profiles.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Robert

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Robert,

There is not a way as far as I know. Usually you need to remove the WLAN to free up that WLAN ID to be able to resume it again. If you have WCS/NCS or are good with scripting CLI commands, you would delete all the wlan's and then add the wlan's in the order you prefer. It would be a nice feature to do what you want to do though.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello Robert,

Just like what Scott metnioned, there is no way to change the index of a WLAN.

However, having WLANs indexes not in sequence is something normal. When you create your WLANs you usually have htem in sequence. But later if you have to delete some WLANs then gabs in sequence start to appear.
I always wished if index can be changed for the WLAN but unfortunately it is not. This should not be an issue though and won't affect anything.

HTH

Amjad

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

Yeah Vocera server requires that WLAN ID to be consistent since the base radio mac last octet is the WLAN ID. So in case of an ap moving to another wlc, your AP mac address for that location would be wrong. It is best practice to have the WLAN IDs the same mobility group. FlexConnect would break.

-Scott

14 Replies 14

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Robert,

There is not a way as far as I know. Usually you need to remove the WLAN to free up that WLAN ID to be able to resume it again. If you have WCS/NCS or are good with scripting CLI commands, you would delete all the wlan's and then add the wlan's in the order you prefer. It would be a nice feature to do what you want to do though.

-Scott

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hello Robert,

Just like what Scott metnioned, there is no way to change the index of a WLAN.

However, having WLANs indexes not in sequence is something normal. When you create your WLANs you usually have htem in sequence. But later if you have to delete some WLANs then gabs in sequence start to appear.
I always wished if index can be changed for the WLAN but unfortunately it is not. This should not be an issue though and won't affect anything.

HTH

Amjad

robert.huang
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for the replies.

We have a specific application (voice location) that is based on the WLAN ID. It seems like we have to delete and recreate the WLAN.

Maybe Im full of poop on this one, if so feel free to call me out.

If your WLAN names and IDs dont match on all the controllers primary and back up. Should an ap fail from the primary to back up it has to do a fulll reboot becuase the IDs dont match in that specific order. I think Blake told me that .. Any truth to that, anyone know?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Yeah Vocera server requires that WLAN ID to be consistent since the base radio mac last octet is the WLAN ID. So in case of an ap moving to another wlc, your AP mac address for that location would be wrong. It is best practice to have the WLAN IDs the same mobility group. FlexConnect would break.

-Scott

Scott, you are the man.

Yes, Vocera is the exact app that requires teh consistent WLAN ID.

if the wlan id's are not consistent then everything will break. H-Reap (flex connect) tags will be different when the AP fails over.

TM13
Level 1
Level 1

Can it affect to wireless A,B/G,N radios?

What do you mean by this question? What is the thing that can affect the radios?

The problem is our WLAN ID :1 - SSID1 users are going to all APs N radio but WLAN ID: 2 - SSID2 users are assigning to APs B/G, A so WLAN ID:2 users are getting bit slow performance you know, if i change SSID2 to WLAN ID:1 users could get APs radio N or not, what do you think?

This is a different story. There is no relation between the raido role of the SSID and the WLAN ID.

From the WLAN you can choose the radio role that you want (802.11a only, 802.11b/g only...etc).

or you can use the CLI:

(WLAN-Controller) >config wlan radio ?

802.11a-only   Configures the WLAN on 802.11a only.

802.11ag       Configures the WLAN on 802.11a and 802.11g only.

802.11bg       Configures the WLAN on 802.11b/g only (802.11b only, if 802.11g is disabled).

802.11g-only   Configures the WLAN on 802.11g only.

all            Configures the WLAN on all Radio bands.

for 802.11n performance your WLAN must have some requirements (for example, either open or AES encryption, WMM enabled).

If your SSID does not meet those requirements the WLAN will not be able to provide 802.11n capability.

HTH

Amjad

Hi Amjad,

Ok, that is first thing i've observed ... so here are the configs on GUI

1. SSID1

1. Radio Policy - All

2. Security - WPA+WPA2, WPA2 Policy, WPA2 Enc - AES

3. DTIM Period -  a/n - 1, bgn - 1

2. SSID2

1. Radio Policy - All

2. Security - WPA+WPA2, WPA Policy, WPA2 Enc - TKIP, auth key - 802.1x

3. DTIM Period -  a/n - 1, bgn - 1

Can you specify what configs need to be done to use N on Wireless Controller?

Hi,

Please rate if useful.

You need to disable WPA+TKIP and enable WPA2-AES to get 802.11n rates to work.

Regards,

Amjad

muy bien servicio
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card