Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Users might experience few discrepancies in Search results. We are working on this on our side. We apologize for the inconvenience it may have caused.

Is it possible to configure 2 SSIDs without using multiple VLANs?

I am trying to set up a 1231G to allow normal users to connect using WEP and visitors to connect with no encryption in guest mode. Using one SSID, I can get one or the other to work using the guest-mode command on the SSID, but have the problem that WEP mandatory or optional on the radio interface disables either the normal user or the guest. If I set up 2 separate SSIDs for each of these user groups is it necessary to assign a separate VLAN for each to make this work? The AP is on a network that is not trunked.

Thanks for any help or direction you can give me.

--Sara

2 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Red

Re: Is it possible to configure 2 SSIDs without using multiple V

Hi Sara,

Hopefully the attached docs will answer your question:

Cisco Aironet 1200 Series

Using VLANs with Cisco Aironet Wireless Equipment

Deprecated versions of Cisco Aironet software permit binding multiple SSIDs to one VLAN. Current versions do not.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/products_configuration_example09186a00801d0815.shtml#

Cisco IOS Software Configuration Guide for Cisco Aironet Access Points, 12.2(15)JA

Configuring Multiple SSIDs

vlan vlan-id

(Optional) Assign the SSID to a VLAN on your network. Client devices that associate using the SSID are grouped into this VLAN. You can assign only one SSID to a VLAN.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4570/products_configuration_guide_chapter09186a00802085c4.html

Also this answer from Cisco Aironet 1200 Series FAQ;

Q. How many service set identifiers (SSIDs) can you have per VLAN?

A. You can have only one SSID per VLAN. The use of multiple SSIDs over a single VLAN is not supported with Aironet APs.

Hope this helps! (sorry to be the bearer of bad news)

Rob

Please remember to rate helpful posts.......

Re: Is it possible to configure 2 SSIDs without using multiple V

Thanks for the link. It looks like it is exactly what I need. Never ran across this document in my search. I didn't realize the change in the software versions.

Thanks!

Sara

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content