Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Is it possible to do multiple ssids and encryptions on an autonomous AP without vlans?

I got a customer who just has autonomous APs. They are upgrading from 1210s to 1262s. They are currently running a config that is wide open with no authentication or encryption and using a VPN tunnel on the wireless clients for security. They want to switch to using WPA2/PSK with the new APs. They have existing clients that have to continue to work during the upgrade to the new APs. They run 3 shifts so it is a 24 hr operation with no downtime. What I was thinking would be to configure the 1262 with multiple SSIDs, one with their existing settings and one with the new. Then I could swap the APs one at a time and it would only impact service for a short period of time while I was mounting the new AP. Then once all the new APs are installed I could transition the clients over to the new SSID and encryption then disable the old SSID once all the clients are switched over. I've done this before with a WLC but not with an autonomous APs. The only config examples I can find uses VLANs. This customer is not using VLANs. Is there anyway to use multiple SSIDs with different encryption on a single radio on an autonomous 1262 without VLANs?

The site has about 30 APs and 100 clients. Yes I know a controller would be preferred for a site of this size but that is a question for sales and why they didn't see them a controller. I just get stuck with what they sell them.

thanks

1 REPLY

Is it possible to do multiple ssids and encryptions on an autono

Hi Don,

Im afraid on the autonmous platform you can not map multiple WLANS to a single vlan.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

__________________________________________________________________________________________ "Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin ___________________________________________________________
Views
Helpful
Replies